LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Tank Move Disaster

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes New Tank Move Disaster

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

einoxon
    Participant

oh no – my tank move from a 30 to 54 litre is no going as smoothy as I hoped. I had eight mountain minnow and 18 Cherry Shrimp in the old tank – I bought the new tank on Sunday and I’ve transfered over both the new fluval 2 and the old fluval 1 – and thought everything was fine. On Monday I bought a new piece of bogwood and boiled it well for over an hour and added a a bit of stress zyme to the tank just for safety (never used it before

keith565
    Participant

so sorry to hear you have lost a few fish/shrimp.
    it may well be stress, the water or indeed the bogwood. but my guess is a water problem. although the old fluval 1 was mature, it was only able to cope with the 30 litre tank not the 54, so you may have had an ammonia or nitrite spike while it adjusted to the larger volume, and remember, the new filter will take a few weeks to get up to full maturity.
    i also have to think the fish/shrimps may have been more streesed with the number and amount of water changes you have done, be it with all good intentions.
    i would let things rest for now. hoping all the other crittters are all ok. see how the rest of the critters go and try and get a good test kit when you can.

Malti
    Participant

I agree with what keith said – I would also have waited much more for the tank to cycle, 7days minimum

einoxon
    Participant

Thanks Keith for your kind reply – I am gutted as all I wanted was to give them a better home and a few tankmates (neons – not yet bought). I will leave them be now – should I feed them as normal tommorow. 5 look fine, and one is looking really pale and ill.

einoxon
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 6 2010, 09:11 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I agree with what keith said – I would also have waited much more for the tank to cycle, 7days minimum

Hi Malti – thanks – do you mean you would have run them both together for a week? the new one without fish?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (einoxon @ Jan 7 2010, 12:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks Keith for your kind reply – I am gutted as all I wanted was to give them a better home and a few tankmates (neons – not yet bought). I will leave them be now – should I feed them as normal tommorow. 5 look fine, and one is looking really pale and ill.

einoxon
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 6 2010, 09:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would feed 1/2 usual portion…or even skip it, as sometimes, when I change tanks, I find it more of a stress if they get the usual stuff

Tempted to skip it and just leave the light off for a day…sound a good idea?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (einoxon @ Jan 7 2010, 12:16 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Malti – thanks – do you mean you would have run them both together for a week? the new one without fish?

yes, and if possible use “aged water” from the tank with fish to get the right bacteria

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (einoxon @ Jan 7 2010, 12:18 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Tempted to skip it and just leave the light off for a day…sound a good idea?

do you have bright or dim light? if dim light no problem – and u can skip a day no prob as well – I do it once every 15 days to all my fish, except fry

einoxon
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 6 2010, 09:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes, and if possible use “aged water” from the tank with fish to get the right bacteria

I transferred over the old filter – fluval one (which had been running with a squished up fluval 2 sponge and half a fluval one sponge) added the old sponge to the new filter to seed the other sponge, and put both the old and new on in the tank.

I fondly thought this would transfer as much of the new bacteria as possible. Is it worth adding more stress zyme (although it all started to go wrong once I did this the first time..)

einoxon
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 6 2010, 09:21 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    do you have bright or dim light? if dim light no problem – and u can skip a day no prob as well – I do it once every 15 days to all my fish, except fry

Quite bright..

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (einoxon @ Jan 7 2010, 12:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Quite bright..

either put on 1/2 if possible, or if needed use an external dim light – but keep it off

einoxon
    Participant

Will do – thanks, both of you.

Malti
    Participant

welcome

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hi einoxon,
    Sorry about your problems! Looks like you’re getting some good advice so far, hope things go better for you! I would recommend that you get a good test kit with PH, KH, GH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, maybe a tds meter, to monitor your water. IMO these are essential when starting out till you get a handle on your tank chemistry and it’s relation to your tap water or whatever you’re adding with changes. Hope things get better soon, Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.