LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Tank Move Disaster

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes New Tank Move Disaster

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Bluedave
    Participant

Have you added any new plants? These are sometimes treated with a copper based product to kill the snails, unfortunatley copper is lethal to shrimp as well so if you don’t wash the plants really well that can sometimes casue losses in shrimp.

einoxon
    Participant

No, no new plants, just moved the old ones over…

2 more died last night, but the remaining four look ok. A lot of the shrimp are still okay too – which is making me think its stress, not the water – which kind of makes me feel worse…

Matt
    Keymaster

I think this was in the wrong forum so have shifted it.

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 6 2010, 09:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes, and if possible use “aged water” from the tank with fish to get the right bacteria

Aged water won’t do anything except transfer nitrAtes and a depleted kh if the old tank didn’t get frequent water changes. The cycle bacteria are overwhelmingly found in the filter media since the high water flow means that they get a plentiful supply of ammonia, nitrIte and oxygen.

To be honest I’m puzzled by the original post since you did the right thing by transferring the filters. This meant that there were sufficient bacteria present to cope with the waste from the fish since you haven’t increased the stocking. This is borne out by the zero reading for ammonia. The increase in tank volume is largely irrelevant, although there is now a larger volume to dilute any ammonia or nitrIte present which should be a benefit.

So a long shot, but how often did you change water in the 30L tank? If this was infrequent then the change to much cleaner water could result in osmotic shock due to a sudden change in TDS, which would explain the fish deaths. Not sure if that would affect shrimp as well as fish though.

shamanofsexy

Could be a number of things.

How did you transfer them?? Did you go from tank to bag to tank as if you bought them from a LFS or just net them up and transfer them that way??

As mentioned the change in water quality from aged water to fresh water could have caused it.

Nitrate/Ammonia spike from the filter being new.

I dont think the bogwood would have caused it boiling it for an hour should have been enough. Assuming you did boil it in declorinated water rather than in tap water?

Bluedave
    Participant

I reckon Eyrie has hit the nail on the head – shrimp would be affected more than the fish.

Too many losses for stress of the move IMO – I’ve ‘bunged’ fish around in buckets changing tanks before and had no losses – they are more resilient than you think as long as water parameters are maintained and they are going into similar water.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.