LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Tank Setup

Home Forums My Aquarium New Tank Setup

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Headdy 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Headdy
    Participant

My fancy goldfish have gotten a new home, and I’m redoing the larger (20-something gallon) tank for a tropical fish collection. At the moment it’s in the cycling stage, plants and all. It looks a mess!

Headdy
    Participant

My new cast is as follows:

1 x Neon Yellow/Green Rasbora (sole survivor)
    10 x Two Spot Rasboras
    3 x Albino Catfish
    5 x Black Emperor Tetras

I’ve also invested in a new fluorescent bulb, a reflector and an inexpensive CO2 unit, primarily for the plants’ benefit.

In a 23 UK gallon tank, is there room for anything else? If there is then I want something colourful, and obviously friendly to the other fish.

mickthefish
    Participant

a nice bit of colour for your tank would be Melonataenia praecox it stays fairly small compared with some of the rainbows plus the male has a beautiful blue body with bright red fins, plus they are always in view.
    and for fish capacity, if you saw my main tank your eye’s would come out on stilts.
    i have over adequate filtration and water movement plus i do 2 water changes per week of at least half the water.

mick

ndc
    Participant

i like a lot of the other smaller rainbows as well like the iriatherina werneri – (threadfin rainbowfish) they look great when the males flash their fins and display to each other, you could also maybe have a look at hatchets like the marbled hatchet (carnegiella strigata) for the top of the tank

dunc
    Keymaster

Threadfin Rainbow is gorgeous.. as are both Pseudomugil furcatus and Pseudomugil gertrudae.

Reva
    Participant

I would get two more green rasboras so your sole survivor isnt all alone /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Headdy
    Participant

I had a look at hatchets – my local store has “both” kinds – and I was keen on them, but I don’t know if I can get hold of flies and things for food.
    They would make a cool addition, but I think I’d go with one of the rainbow fish. I don’t know which one, though.

I tell you: though I did my research and decided what I wanted to get, when it comes to buying the fish I always get nervous and indecisive.

My catfish are very lively at the moment; they’ve been swimming around the smaller tank all day.

Headdy
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Oct 18 2008, 07:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did you say that you have a betta?

I used to have one (I’ve been through two already), and my initial choices were based on the possibility of getting another. I’ve decided it’s not worth the risk to my other fish, though.

I’ve had trouble finding anywhere that sells the green rasboras, online or offline. I’d have a whole tank full of them.

mickthefish
    Participant

headdy, have you got the scientific name for these green rasbora mate, as common names to me are missleading.

mick
    cheers mate.

Headdy
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 18 2008, 08:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    headdy, have you got the scientific name for these green rasbora mate, as common names to me are missleading.

mick
    cheers mate.

I found “microrasbora kubotai”.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/…?article_id=682

mickthefish
    Participant

gotcha, now i know the fish, cheers.

mick

ndc
    Participant

hatchets will happily eat flake food so i wouldnt worry about that

Matt
    Keymaster

I’d leave the frogs out Drew. Although they’re almost always sold as such they’re not really suitable to go in with fish.

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

My hatchets live on frozen daphina and flake and are thriving..

Headdy
    Participant

Well I managed to get hold of some microrasboras kubotai, and also some boraras brigittae (Chilli Rasbora), out of sheer luck. I’ve got quite a lively tank going right now, though in the dark the boraras brigittae are virtually invisible!

As for the rainbowfish/hatchets suggestions… Ideally I’d go with a mix of Melanotaenia praecox (Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish) and Gasteropelecus sternicla (Silver Hatchet), but there’s not enough room for a school of each. My thoughts at the moment are 2 x rainbowfish and 4 x silver hatchet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.