LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Newbies Tank And A Couple Of Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Newbies Tank And A Couple Of Fish

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  philomel 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

philomel
    Participant

Here are some pics of my 260 l bowfront tank and occupants – S American theme.
    Hopefully photos will improve as I get more experience LOL

Attached files

andrew
    Participant

Nice tank – and pretty decent pics for a first attempt!

Bluedave
    Participant

Nice tank, have you thought of some foreground plants, would really add to it I reckon.

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s so much better than I could do, it pains me immensely

philomel
    Participant

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.
    I’ve only just put a layer of dark substrate over the previously very pale gravel Bluedave, and am enjoying the vastly improved effect. Later perhaps I will add some more foreground plants, though I do enjoyed being able to see the juxtaposition of hard and soft and don’t want to cover everything with soft planting. Can you suggest any S. American plants for the foreground please? – preferably not Echinodorus as there seems to be a surfeit of those already LOL
    dunc

Bluedave
    Participant

there are lots of different ech. species though – Ech. Tennelus would look good and creates a bit of a carpet. Others that give the carpet effect are Glossostigma or hemianthus although these two need high light levels and CO2 with a good fert regime to thrive (not South american either!). Lilaeopsis brasiliensis gives a nice ‘grassy’ effect as does eleocharis parvula – both South american.

If your not looking for a carpet effect (and to be honest I think the tank would look better without it) then what about Sagitaria subulata – that make a good forground plant and is South american – there are a couple of varieties though so make sure you get the dwarf version.

Other plants that look good in the fore ground are anubias barteri var. nana and nymphaea lotus – the lotus needs careful pruning though to keep it small and bushy. They are bot hafrican though, so no good if you’ve got your heart set on south american.

oooh – just had one idea – it’s an Ech species though – Ech. Quadricostatus – looks brilliant as a foreground plant in bigger tanks – I had a tank with just that in the foreground – was very good and easy to care for:

well, hopefully that gives you some ideas. I think Ech. quadricostatus, if you don’t want Ech. species then Sagitaria will give you a similar effect but hey it’s your tank if you like the front bare then leave it like that – it’s a great looking tank!

Bluedave
    Participant

um, told a bit of a porky there – looking at the pic again I did have some Ech. Tennelus mixed in with it – sorry….. but you get the idea!

philomel
    Participant

LOL Looks great. Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I’ll look them up and have a think, but certainly the Ech. tennelus, quadricostatus and the Saggitaria subulata appeal

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.