LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Ninespine Stickleback (Pungitius pungitius)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Ninespine Stickleback (Pungitius pungitius)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Colin 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

ninespine stickleback (Pungitius pungitius)

Here are a few shots from today of the UK’s smallest freshwater fish and it’s only known from a handful of sites in Scotland. These fish are from the only known inland Scottish population which I discovered in 2004 while looking for great crested newts (under license /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

cheers
    Colin

and chasing prima…

oaken
    Participant

Very nice!

Eyrie
    Participant

Are they only scarce in the UK, or is this an endemic species?

kim m
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about setting up a tank for some for some time…they are widespread in Denmark and found everywhere in flowing water at least on the west coast. At my new house there’s a stream with a lot of them.

I didn’t know they were uncommon i Scotland, but that makes them interesting for you to have a go at

andy rushworth
    Participant

Very nice ! great pics Colin .

Colin
    Participant

cheers http://data.nbn.org.uk/gridMap/gridMapLarge.jsp#topOfMap

So far these wee guys have been quite interesting to keep, not a aggressive as the 3 spines for sure!

Matt
    Keymaster

Very cool Colin! Is this a freshwater population?

Colin
    Participant

yeah totally freshwater, they are only found in one pond and a 1km stretch of a burn as far as i can find. The pond is actually a SUDS system from an industrial estate made about 10 – 12 years ago…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_u…rainage_systems

and i think that they were probably introduced with the Phragmites reed bed? Could be that young fish/eggs etc maybe came in as it was being planted???

best guess anyway

Colin
    Participant

Okay, so here are some pics of their tank –

Its an 18x16x18 lxhxw which has about 3″ of garden soil in the bottom of the tank and a fine covering of black sand. Most of the plants are native pond plants such as greater spearwort, arrowhead, cinquefoil, burr-reed and a few others. No filter, no water movement and only natural sunlight. No algae problems!

Matt
    Keymaster

Now THAT is a biotope tank.

Hokum
    Participant

Lovely interesting tank, i remember catcing these all the time as a child in somerset in the rhynes. Out of interest do you have to keep the water cool? I was thinking of keeping 3 spined sticklebacks before going for my hillstream loach.

Colin
    Participant

keep cool? Nah, it’s Scotland LOL

warmest I have seen the tank is about 68F and that’s a south facing window! The lowest I have seen so far since May is about 60F.

i know they are not as pretty as many fish I could put in a tank but they are interesting and I am looking forward to seeing some courtship and spawning next year. It’s also as equally interesting to see how the plants do with the garden soil and watch what plants do well and what plants not so well.

I have also added some local Gammarus and Asselus just for the hell of it LOL

cheers
    C

Martin Tversted
    Participant

Yes, it relatively common in Denmark. Especially near the coast, but also know from various inland populations.There are some variation among their breeding colouration.

Some other pops have solid orange fins.

Martin

Martin Tversted
    Participant

When I need plants planted out in an aquarium I always use garden soil. It usual takes 3 months to fully funktion but then there no need to change it for years.

Colin
    Participant

That’s a really dark specimen, so far all of mine are just silver – i hope to see more colour in the spring if they decide to spawn

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.