LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nitrogen cycle and nitrifying bacteria

Home Forums My Aquarium Nitrogen cycle and nitrifying bacteria

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Byron Hosking 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

BJplusMilo21
    Participant

Hello,

Would introducing Aquasonic Bio culture (nitrifying bacteria) within the aquarium , increase the rate which the nitrogen cycle occurs?

Regards Jacob

Byron Hosking
    Participant

Possibly, but I would select another brand.  I don’t know this product myself, and from what I see on the manufacturer’s web site [http://www.aquasonic.com.au/product/bio-culture-standard-100ml/] it contains three strains of bacteria, namely Bacillus Strains, Nitrosospira and Nitrospira.  They say Nitrosospira is responsible for the ammonia to nitrite exchange, but I believe this is in soil not water.  Dr. Tim Hovanec led a team of scientists some years back who determined that Nitrosomonas bacteria handle this stage in fresh and marine water, and Nitrospira probably the second phase (nitrite to nitrate).  Myself, I would not use this product but another containing these.

Dr. Hovanec has one of his own products, “Dr Tim’s Onew and Only,” and there is also Tetra’s SafeStart (which is Dr. Hovanec’s original formula that he sold to Tetra).  And I have successfully used Seachem’s Stability in new tanks.  With all of these, they quicken the bacterial colonization but don’t replace it as an instant cycling; although Dr. Hovanec does claim this for his own product.  I treat these bacterial products as forms of seeding bacteria, and they do that without question.

On the issue of cycling, live plants is my preference.  With sufficient fast-growing plants, especially surface (floating) species, you don’t even see the ammonia/nitrite with tests because the plants grab the ammonia and usually out-compete the bacteria.

Byron.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.