LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nora's Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Nora's Fish

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Nora
    Participant

Hey y’all…

I’ve decided to show some of my fish… I hope you enjoy a bit…

Amatitlania nigrofasciata or… terror cichlid

Betta albimarginata

Channa spec. Assam

Channa stewartii Juveniles

Cichla orinocensis – wonderful models in the quarantine, horrible in their home aquarium *sigh*

Nora
    Participant

… *spam*

Cichla twisted

Some North American species really difficult to get in Germany / Switzerland – Etheostoma caeruleum (juvenile)

Etheostoma spectabile (juvenile)

Gambusia affinis (?) from the Camargue, France

Homaloptera smithi

Limia tridens

Microctenopoma ansorgii *The Punk!*

Another NA species… Couldn’t find out if Phoxinus or Chrosomus is the valid genus for this erythrogaster

I’ll stop for now – Cheers, Nora

Plaamoo
    Participant

WOW! Please don’t stop for long.

Stefan

Very nice Nora! CAS says: “Current status: Valid as Chrosomus erythrogaster (Rafinesque 1820)”, if that’s any help.

Matt
    Keymaster

VERY nice, especially the N. American stuff. I have images of the C. erythrogaster to add to the database at some point and they came labelled Chrosomus. If the Gambusia is the same one as here it’s G. holbrooki I think…

pablito
    Participant

From where did you acquire your Northern American species Nora? We have almost no possibility of acquisition in the UK.

coelacanth
    Participant

Don’t tell ‘im Nora! He only ever talks to people when he wants something! He’s probably already planning a trip to Switzerland!

Lovely fish by the way, the Cichla are exquisite and the ‘Merkan fish are lovely, really special.

sorab

Lovely pics thanks for showing them.
    cheers
    Peter

Hi Nora. Thanks for posting your fish photos. I’m guessing that your Phoxinus species is Phoxinus eos, known in the region where it is found as northern redbelly dace. It could also be a southern redbelly dace, but from the description at:

http://web4.msue.msu.edu/mnfi/abstracts/zo…ythrogaster.pdf

I don’t think so.

“The northern and southern redbelly dace have smaller mouths than most minnows, but the southern redbelly dace has a mouth that is more horizontal, whereas the northern has an upturned mouth usually more than 45°).”

Malti
    Participant

wow…I want more fish now…

We all do. But it’s something we learn to live with, when we aren’t going out to get more fish.

QUOTE (Malti @ Jan 26 2011, 06:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    wow…I want more fish now…

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm according to CAS it’s valid as Chrosomus erythrogaster. Methinks we need a copy of this which I should be able to get: Strange, R. M. and R. L. Mayden. 2009. Phylogenetic relationships and a revised taxonomy for North American cyprinids currently assigned to Phoxinus (Actinopterygii: Cyprinidae). Copeia 2009.

Bob/Nora – do the males have that beautiful red belly all the time or just when in spawning condition?

Malti
    Participant

Sonny somehow that almost sounded like my mum barring me from LFS…

HDP
    Participant

Hi,

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 27 2011, 08:55 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Bob/Nora – do the males have that beautiful red belly all the time or just when in spawning condition?

eventhough I am not Bob nor Nora …

Both male and female seem to show the red coloration only during spawning conditions. The Phoxinus/Chrosomus I keep showed the red color after two weeks. After one more week I put them in another tank then of which I thought it would be better fit for spawning purposes and they lost this coloration immediately returning to their normal grayish coloration with the black stripe.
    I will try to alter the tank setup to match the one of the first tank they were kept in.
    But I have to admit that I got these fishes about six weeks ago so this observation has to be confirmed taking a longer period into account.

Cheers

Heiko

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Heiko, thanks for the info. Just like the Yirpeen ones then.

That paper is on the way.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.