LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Obscure Swamp Eel

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Obscure Swamp Eel

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

Scientifically little has been written about this guy. Rosen and Greenwood described it in 1976 and there are several officially recorded sightings in Guatemala on or after this date. I have tried to find the original description but it is available in an obscure format which I have not fathomed yet.
    Swamp eels are found in many countries. Many people call creatures eels that are not technically eels. The eel known to everybody is the one that has to go into the sea to breed, possibly the Sargasso area. It is often a pain in the posterior when freshwater fishing as it always swallows the hook.
    The species named above I believe to be in Lake Peten and just about everybody here knows about it or has eaten it.
    It has also been found in many other places (not officially) including Belize. I found this comment on a forum.
    The swamp eel I am most familar with is Ophisternon aenigmaticum, the obscure swamp eel, which we collected at a dozen different localities in Belize. At one locality, we were collecting at night with headlights. It was at a road crossing with a bridge, and there was rip-rap rock laid around the bridge foundation. There was a swamp eel in the rip-rap, with about half its body out in the current. There were schools of Astyanax, about 1.5 in long. I watched the eel grab a couple of the Astyanax. I thought it was pretty efficient in its fishing.
    So why no photos exist is a bit of a mystery.
    I have been assured that I will have one of these creatures in my possession very soon. I have offered a very large reward of US$ 6.00 (a days pay here).

Matt
    Keymaster

John I’ve sent you a digital copy of the description.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Oct 31 2009, 02:52 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    John I’ve sent you a digital copy of the description.

Many thanks Matt. We now know what to expect to see when we get hold of hopefully a live one. Keeping our fingers clear of the mouth of course /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

how big does this get?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Handsome devil

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Oct 31 2009, 08:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    how big does this get?

When I ask the locals they spread their arms a yard wide. However specimens collected in Guatemala range from 5 to 30 inches.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Oct 31 2009, 08:02 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    When I ask the locals they spread their arms a yard wide. However specimens collected in Guatemala range from 5 to 30 inches.

thx

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Oct 31 2009, 11:22 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Handsome devil

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Nov 6 2009, 07:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The boys brought me a baby this morning only 6 cms. Being so small and rapid constant movement, hard to photograph. A giant was available but as I had asked for a medium size, they took me at my word and ate the big one.
    I can understand why they call it a culebra (snake).

its a real beauty! just lost my marine eel

johnpeten
    Participant

Some slightly better photos showing the red patches on the gill flaps.

Attached files

johnpeten
    Participant

A slightly larger one has just been delivered.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Fantastic!

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 7 2009, 04:33 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are they feeding already John?

At the moment they have burrowed into the fine gravel under rocks. Hopefully they may come out looking for food.
    These primative creatures are strange in every way. They apparently can breath air and can change sex.
    It is suggested that they existed during the Miocene epoch more than 5 million years ago. Their offspring are called larva for some reason, yet to be investigated.
    Keeping them in an aquarium could be a problem.

Matt
    Keymaster

Keep us informed John please.

Author
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.