LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Oops They Did It Again !

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Oops They Did It Again !

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ndc 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

ndc
    Participant

geo altifrons have spawned again – the same 2 as last time so ill keep more of an eye on them this time and ill put on a bit of info here –
    bit of background-
    the tank – juwel 400 litre with juwel jumbo filter and a tetratec ex 1200 external. have removed all carbon and added 1 juwel nitrate removing sponge to the filter instead.
    perameters – ph 6.7 ish, nitrate 10 (after water change) 20 (before water change) temp 29 C , water tannin stained with 4 pieces of bogwood.
    in the tank – 7 geo altifron sp tapajos, 3 guianacara sp, 12 lda 31 (only small ) will reduce numbers as they grow.
    did water change on tuesday (25%) with water straight from the tap and added dechlorinator.
    fish spawned today and have mouthfulls of eggs , last time i think they held them for about 10 days and dont feed at all during that time , they are however camped in 1/3 of the tank and keep everyone else away – which must be quite tricky to do if youve got a mouthfull of eggs !

Sofia

That’s great news!
    Congratulations. I like tannin stained water.

Matt
    Keymaster

Fantastic! Are they clearly sexable at all Neill? Interesting that they’ve selected the same partner again.

ndc
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 1 2008, 05:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Fantastic! Are they clearly sexable at all Neill? Interesting that they’ve selected the same partner again.

cant tell whos male and whos female to be honest (the fish , not in life !!) these 2 have hung around together for about 3 months now, ones slightly larger than the other but the fins etc are all the same, funny thing is they arent even the biggest pair in the tank, the dominant male spawned a couple of weeks ago but he only held for a couple of days

Matt
    Keymaster

Still holding Neill?

ndc
    Participant

i think 1 still is, the guianacara have decided to try spawning and have completely taken over the tank and are pushing everything around but they are going hopefully this week

ndc
    Participant

i have about 150 or so guianacara fry now instead, well see what happens next !!

Sofia

Wow! Sounds really nice. Good luck on them

ndc
    Participant

thanks , theyve taken over half the tank and are defending them well so well see what happens, i havent got a spare tank or id take some out to raise separately

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith got any tank space?

ndc
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 7 2008, 12:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Keith got any tank space?

Eyrie
    Participant

Congratulations! Any photographs?

Matt
    Keymaster

Whaa how will anyone know who mum or dad is?

ndc
    Participant

not sure about the guianacara species, looks most liks owroewefi, but they came in as a new species but i would say guianacara are some of the hardest fish to id correctly, they change markings continually, i also watched another pair of geo spawning last night – i think the female was into it but half way thru the male looked like he had a mouthful but spat out sand but she looks like shes holding but wether they are fertilised or not? they took it in turns to spawn against some bogwood and went round and round for about 45 mins, ill get some pics of the guianacara and try and put them on tonight – im off work tonight so ill use the other computer and hopefully upload some

ndc
    Participant

JUST AN UPDATE – still have over 100 fry – they are now feeding on mini prima so in the past week have nearly doubled in size, i couldnt feed them fry food earlier because they are still in the large tank but suprisingly they all lived. they are just over 1cm in size now and have a row of spots on their sides , parents are still doing a good job of guarding them . the other thing is that ive only done 1 water change in the last month as i didnt want to disturb them and now weve been having new water mains in the street so im going to leave it another few days before i do a water change and again they dont seem bothered 1 bit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.