LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Orange Dwarf Shrimp

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Orange Dwarf Shrimp

This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  geordie John 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Richy
    Participant

I got some “Orange Dwarf Shrimp” as what the supplier was calling them. Has anyone came across this common name before? I don’t know what the latin name is and from the brief google search I did the other day it came up with
    Orange Shrimp
    I don’t think it’s these as they’re not as colourful (multi coloured) as the photo. I will do more searching myself but thought someone on here may know what they are.
    Sorry, I know i need a photo of mine for you but i have the wrong light on right now and it’s not bright enough. Arcadia Arcpod lights lol /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

It’s not Neocaridina heteropoda var. yellow is it Richy? Pier had some in the other week and they looked more orangey than the one in this pic, hence the suggestion…

┬ęShrimpnow

Sound nice whatever they are.

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Richy @ Jul 21 2008, 10:10 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They’re about the same price as red cherry shrimp if thats any help. I’ll swap the lights about to get a pic before anyone shouts but might not be tonight /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Richy
    Participant

I’m guessing they are a form of Neocaridina sp but i’ll have to get a photo later today /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

sounds interesting, look forward to seeing the pics. can i ask where you got them from (pretty please)

Richy
    Participant

It’s hard to say if the photo Matt posted is the same as it might be ready to “molt/shed” Many shrimps look alot paler if they’ve just shed/molted as they’re hardening up again. Not the best terminology but you’ll know what I mean lol.
    Well, been trying to get some photo’s and instead of swapping lights around I went out and bought a triphosphor tube instead of the standard Arcpod tube. One problem, I forgot to check the kelvin ratings /angry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:angry:” border=”0″ alt=”angry.gif” /> My fault /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

thanks mate.
    i’ve had a look about, there are a few shrimp with the same common name, but Caridina babaulti seems to pop up.

Richy
    Participant

couple of pics but not great

They look more yellow than orange.
    I’ll try and get better photo’s later.

keith565
    Participant

just wanted to say a big thanks to Richy for pointing me in the right direction. managed to pick up the last 10 of these today. nice looking shrimps. i will let you know how they get on. oh, and some pics too.

those pics are not bad mate. i’ll wait for mine to settle a few days before taking pics.

Richy
    Participant

No problem Keith /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />
    Next time make it a day when i’m available and I’ll pop along and meet you /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />
    I have noticed they’re not a greedy for cucumber like the bee’s, red cherries and red crystals but i’m sure they’ll catch on quick /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Hahaha new shrimp = Keith exceeding the speed limit on all carriageways!

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 24 2008, 05:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hahaha new shrimp = Keith exceeding the speed limit on all carriageways!

Richy
    Participant

I think my shrimp are actually yellow shrimp not orange as the supplier has named them.

geordie John
    Participant

Now then folk,
    I got 4 orange shrimp today ,they look like Neocaridina sp. ,the offer was for 5 but I also recieved a Bee shrimp and a Cherry LoL. One of the shrimp was noticably more brighter than the others, even after settling in, it is female as are 2 of the others , 2 of the females have sadles so I hope the Cherry had nowt to do with them LoL. Has any one got young yet !
    Will my Orange and Green get on together now the 12th night has passed !! LoL
    All the best,
    G.J.

Richy
    Participant

I have about 3 with berries but haven’t noticed any youngsters yet. I have a feeling I won’t as I now have well over 40 albino Bn’s babies in there /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.