LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Oreichthys Species

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Oreichthys Species

This topic contains 33 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve arrived at this genus now.

So because this is undescribed and is probably not an Oreichthys should I change the listing in the knowledge base? If so any opinions what to? It’s currently in as Oreichthys sp. “high fin”. Thanks in advance chaps!

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

yup your right mate, it was an undescribed as yet species from myanamar, lovely little fish but only suited to a small fish community tank, they could’nt survive in a normal community tank, they’re to sedate.
    if you look in PB mate there’s a pic of the male in full show.
    here’s a pic i took yesterday of one of the females, even though they’re not as showy as the males they do have the good looks.

the tank should have a decent amount of plants, especially javamoss or any fine leafed plants if you want to spawn them, they would do really well in a planted tank setup similar to Daves, they stay in the lower half of the tank rarely venturing to the upper levels.
    spawning is very similar to rasboras, the male even does the upside down like the harlequin but the eggs are nearly non-adhesive and drop to the base or in the moss.
    ph is around neutral or just above, temp in the middle to upper 70s.

mick

mickthefish
    Participant

Matt, if i can catch the young male and you strip the one on PB it will show you the colour change from sub adult to adult.

mick
    done it for you bud,here’s a male with a couple of females, a subadult male has a yellow dorsal changing to the red as it matures.

Matt
    Keymaster

Is it this one Mick? It really is an absolutely gorgeous wee fish. I’d like to add it to the database but what should I call it? Just Oreichthys sp. do you think?

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

thats the one mate, yes i’d call it sp myanamar as this was confirmed by Kamphol.
    at first i thought they were parva but he put me right on that fish with a couple of good pics of parva.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Just had a search over there and found the old thread. Kamphol’s pics of parvus are superb. /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

no mate, at one time i had four or five males inthe same tank all with the same colours.

yeah no prob with sending the pic mate, i’m still not sure about this DNA lark, they did a massive one on killi’s and are still doing it but Bill Drake who’s one of the top guys in the country told me they revised and changed the name of a killi 5 times in one year and they’re doing it with others as well.
    so if it’s that conclusive why are they changing the names all the time?

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

He I know what you mean Mick; it’s difficult to keep up sometimes! http://www.franksaquarium.com/oreichthys.htm.Do you think it would be possible for me to get some preserved specimens of these fish (male and female)? I’d like to run the DNA on them, just to be sure they are the same. I’d send everything needed to preserve the fish.

You fancy preserving some of those boys for science? /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Reva
    Participant

WOW …you guys are just fascinating to read. I suppose they are changing the names all the time due to finding out so many more specifics, than just external, with this DNA research. How do you guys locate these new types? At the source? oddballs in a tank at the LFS?

mickthefish
    Participant

he’s got no chance of me killing the fish, as you already know by what you wrote bud.
    and besides i know a few people who have tried to send specimens over, they never arrived, they think one of the customs got rid of them. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

mick

mickthefish
    Participant

here y’are mate, you know that pic i sent of the stolizkanus well here’s another of the same fish in a happy mood bud.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Stunning fish and pic mate straight into the database for that one.

mickthefish
    Participant

yes Matt, and frank ain’t getting my fish.

mick

dunc
    Keymaster

Cracking fish that Mick.

mickthefish
    Participant

cheers dunc, he’s getting an old man now but he’s still a lively one.

mick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.