LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Oryzias spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone have experience with species other than O. latipes, O. woworae or sp. ‘Kendari’?

Colin
    Participant

I had mekongensis for a while but didnt keep them long term, maybe a couple months?

Matt
    Keymaster

Any breeding activity?

coelacanth
    Participant

O. cf. celebensis, O. nigrimas, O. sarasinorum, O. sp. Sulawesi, O cf. mekongensis. We never had fertile eggs off the Mekong fish, the Celebes medaka breed like a typical member of the genus, egg clusters which are deposited on plants before they hatch. The nigrimas are a much more elongate fish (similar to ex-Xenopoecilus), very nice, they seem to hold on to the eggs a little longer. The sarasinorum (previously Xenopoecilus) carry their eggs to hatching, as do the O. sp. Sulawesi (these are very interesting, body shape is more like an Oryzias sensu stricto but behaviour is much more like a “Xeno”).

Matt
    Keymaster

Great info, thank you sir.

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 29 2011, 01:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Don’t suppose anyone recognises this one? The photos were labelled O. javanicus but don’t think that’s correct?

O. dancena? “Males have some anal-fin rays extended as white-tipped filaments.”, “Oryzias dancena is distinguished from all other Thai species of
    Oryzias by the white distal margin of the anal fin in both sexes”

Matt
    Keymaster

This is the one I was sent labelled O. dancena, looks very similar to the above but with white-tipped ventral fins…

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

I’d be tempted to say the only difference there is age.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool, that’s what I hoped you’d say.

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

It’s a young male, whatever it is. Don’t see the suggested black edge to the anal that javanicus supposedly has, will look further.

edit – according to Parenti the black line should be along the anal fin base, hard to tell on that pic.

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s another pic with what appears to be a black submarginal band on the anal fin just about visible. Looks like the same species as the one above?

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 29 2011, 04:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks like the same species as the one above?

Aye, and the caudal pattern fits with that described for javanicus. Maybe aff. or cf. javanicus?

ricefish
    Participant

these were bought as javanicus?

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

Look more like celebensis to me, or at least what I know as celebensis.

ricefish
    Participant

The stripe is more purple than the pic’s show
    but I’m sure you’re right about them being celebensis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.