LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Oryzias woworae

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Oryzias woworae

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

oaken
    Participant

Haven’t kept them. They look very nice however and a lot cheaper as well, less than 2 euro per fish.

oaken
    Participant

An interesting note on the O. wowoare is that they seem to like to graze on hard surfaces. They’ve been grazing a lot on a rock in their tank as well as the gravel.

oaken
    Participant

Wow, one of my females is carrying eggs already! And I’ve only had them for a couple of days here

Eyrie
    Participant

Unfortunate timing.

Still, if she’s ready to breed so soon after you got them then there will be more opportunities.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Gustaf I feel you don´t take responsibility for your fish, better bring them to me next time you´re in Stockholm

Matt
    Keymaster

How are you getting on with them Gustav? Some nice pics here.

oaken
    Participant

They’re doing fine. The bigger female has been carrying eggs a few times. Haven’t seen any fry though. I got recommended to move the adults after they have laid eggs but I haven’t had an empty tank to move them to, so we’ll see.

I tried to get some pictures but they didn’t turn out too well. Hard to capture the colour on these. They seem to get a bit darker as they settle in, the fish pictured in the link are quite light coloured.

pablito
    Participant

long time no see fishy friends!

oaken
    Participant

Thanks for the info!

Matt
    Keymaster

Why am I not surprised you’ve bred them already.

coelacanth
    Participant

It seems that there are two very similar fish in the hobby, genuine O. woworae (we now have a small group as of yesterday), and a fish known as Oryzias “Sulawesi”, “Kendari” or “Neon” from around Kendari which we’ve been breeding very successfully.
    They are definitely different, whether different enough to be regarded as separate species remains to be seen. O. “Kendari” (I prefer this or “Neon” to “Sulawesi” because there are plenty more spp. from the island).
    Early impressions are that the behaviour is slightly different between the two forms, woworae being less inclined to shoal, possibly more aggressive (although with such a small group it’s not realistic to assume this as typical).
    Cool and beautiful.

Phill Austen
    Participant

Does anybody know the most suitable temperature for these guys? or how long the eggs take to hatch, at what temp?
    Thanks,
    Phill.

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Phill Austen @ Oct 14 2010, 11:54 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Does anybody know the most suitable temperature for these guys? or how long the eggs take to hatch, at what temp?
    Thanks,
    Phill.

The fish here are housed at about 77f and are active and breeding, not sure exactly how long the eggs take to hatch, will try to keep an eye on some as they develop.

Phill Austen
    Participant

QUOTE (coelacanth @ Oct 14 2010, 05:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The fish here are housed at about 77f and are active and breeding, not sure exactly how long the eggs take to hatch, will try to keep an eye on some as they develop.

Thanks Pete, I have some eyed up eggs and was wondering how long to keep feeding the infusoria to get a reasonable culture going before they hatch.
    Interesting that there are two similar fish, I have yet to see them in retail outlets in the UK.

Phill Austen
    Participant

Hi, I saw some of the “Oryzias Neon” a couple of days ago. Can these fish be sexed as juveniles? and is there a noticeable difference in body shape twixt the sexes?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.