LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Oryzias woworae

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Oryzias woworae

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Phill Austen @ Nov 6 2010, 11:23 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi, I saw some of the “Oryzias Neon” a couple of days ago. Can these fish be sexed as juveniles? and is there a noticeable difference in body shape twixt the sexes?

The slightly more elongate dorsal and anal are visible on males at about half-grown. The red trim to the border of the tail is also more apparent, but obviously you need a group together to see this.
    The only body shape differences we’ve seen are a slightly rounder abdomen on ripe females.

There are some decent-sized adult fish at Pier Aquatics, at a very good price compared to the prices bandied about for woworae.

Matt
    Keymaster

So do females produce eggs constantly or on a cyclical basis?

The full description is available here, incidentally.

torso
    Participant
    Matt wrote on Mar 18 2011, 09:51 AM:
    So do females produce eggs constantly or on a cyclical basis?

as long they feel comfortable they reproduce with a delay of 1-2 weeks – time from brushing the eggs off and reappearing bunch of eggs. in a group with 6-7 females it’s not possible to find out the exact rythm. the time from brushing off to hatching is at least 3 days. I passed the group to a friend on 5th march and the fry remaining in the plants showed up 3 to 5 days later. I think the larger ones which a made pics of were brushed off about 5 days before, a second and smaller group – after putting the plants in a other tank, without “transporting” water – appeared to my surprise two days later. a lot of shrimps and snails in there, no adequate food. I think that a breeder with controlled, intensive care could say more. may be I’ll do with the F2-generation.
    temperature is 24/25°
    cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Charles – and I assume they eat pretty much anything?

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 18 2011, 12:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks a lot Charles – and I assume they eat pretty much anything?

they are not keen on dried standard food or pellets. the fry eats all.

oaken
    Participant

My fish happily eats anything from standard flake to brine shrimp.

Matt
    Keymaster

Still confused about the difference between ‘real’ O. woworae and these fish from mainland Sumatra hence delay on the profile. Got a couple of emails to send which will hopefully solve the mystery.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.