LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Outdoor tropicals

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Outdoor tropicals

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

Soon be time to move some fish outdoors again here in the UK, what are people planning to work with?

Oreochromis
    Participant

I am planning to keep the 20+ Tanichthys albonubes juveniles from end of January outside in an old plastic sandbox, which is currently housing massive quantities of mosquito larvae. But I will wait another month or so: temperatures are still quite low during the night – this morning my car indicated only 5 °C…

BigTom
    Participant

God I love this idea. Never been brave enough to try anything in Edinburgh but might be over-summering in Cornwall this year. Any success stories of your own coelacanth?

nordravn
    Participant

Here the usual, various species of fundulus, aphanius, austrolebias also jenynsia, australoheros, ellasoma, macropodus, goodeids, xiphophorus variatus and the valencias. Some aphanius and fundulus are all readyoutside despite night frost last night, but no problem, they overwinter indoor at 3 – 7c all winter. This spring i have also added some oryzias from a japanese population, they should be winter hardyin germany.

kim m
    Participant

Here 4 tubs are set up with more waiting for the finishing touch when time allows.

One tub already contains Elassoma evergladei and two others are occupid by Aphanius (anatoliae and mento – thank you Nordravn!).

Later Xiphophorus variatus, evelynar, milleri and maybe maculatus, pygmaeus or nigrensis will follow.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve got various Aphanius (2 populations of anatoliae, danfordii, transgrediens, villwocki) and Cyprinodon veronicae at the moment. Would be great to see some pics of everyone’s tubs!

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Still at or below freezing at night here.

coelacanth
    Participant

Yeah, still a bit nippy at times yet. I like to wait until there’s a warm spell forecast so they the fsih have time to adjust to fluctuating temperatures.

Had Lepthoplosternum spawn outside on a suntrap patio, had Austrolebias last three years by moving them outside for half the year, and there some Gymnogeophagus that I took back to a shop after keeping them outside for a few months looked so good they sold the same day.

Rathbuni tetras look superb, as do Black Widow tetras.

Shortly I’ll be taking back some China Barbs that I gave to someone for their aquarium over Winter.

Cherry Shrimps really show how red they can be when kept outside as well, all that algae!

kim m
    Participant

Today I found fry of Aphanius anatoliae in one of the tubs while looking for eggs (I found the first eggs during the weekend). The water is 12C. so these are COOL fish although not really tropical.

Matt
    Keymaster

Definitely agree Kim, some of their habitats are still fed by snow melt water in late April. This pic was taken in the Lake Eğirdir basin during the trip last year – no Aphanius in this particular canal but they’re in a spring nearby.

Eğirdir-Gölu.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.