LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Paedocypris

This topic contains 36 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Alex M. 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I´ve just finished reading the description paper for this genus that currently contains 2 species. Some of you might remember it featuring in the press a couple of years back as one of the species, Paedocypris progenetica is reckoned to be the smallest vertebrate in the world. Both this and Paedocypris micromegethes are found in blackwater streams in SouthEast Asia, more specifically Sumatra and Bintan Island (P. progenetica) and Borneo (P. micromegethes). They´re really cool little things with an interesting mode of reproduction but unfortunately both are threatened by habitat destruction….

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

They barely even look like fish /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

No eta yet. I´ve just realised I wrote 80mm in the first post. I meant 8.

Malti
    Participant

8mm? wow they look like something out of alien

dunc
    Keymaster

Yer I was gonna say like, 8cm isn’t really that small /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeh the “Paedo” part of the genus name was chosen because they are paedomorphic fish ie. adults retain some juvenile characteristics. The fry must be minute….they look like tiny tadpoles! Dunc do you remeber the Danionella that Pete and Paul were breeding? They were the previous smallest freshwater species before these were discovered.

Reva
    Participant

a fascinating world we might never have noticed….living jewels
    where are their pectorals?

Daspricey
    Participant

Aren’t the micromegethes the second smallest fish in the world?

They sure are beautiful!

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup David! Both Paedocypris were described in the same paper and both smaller than Danionella.

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 24 2008, 08:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yup David! Both Paedocypris were described in the same paper and both smaller than Danionella.

Paedocypris sp. came into the UK last year but unfortunately they deteriorated pretty soon after arrival and before we could hold of them. They will come in again I am sure and hopeully we c an have a dabble.
    One piece of interesting information that we have discovered about these little cuties is that they don’t take too kindly to being netted and moved. They need to be managed into transport bags submersed or they, apparently, die

Matt
    Keymaster

Little fish like this must are so delicate they must be a nightmare to ship. Have you ever kept Danionella Pablito? I know there’s at least one lot in the UK at the moment… By the way who are the mysterious “we”? /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 2 2008, 12:17 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Little fish like this must are so delicate they must be a nightmare to ship. Have you ever kept Danionella Pablito? I know there’s at least one lot in the UK at the moment… By the way who are the mysterious “we”? /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Everyone knows Pablito, Matt. He has friends at Barcelona Aquarium!

Matt
    Keymaster

Bloody undercover fish geeks…../ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Pablito is correct … to catch these fish …… you can’t use any net …… They will die /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Have you collected these then Haji? Any habitat info you can give us?

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.