LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Panda Garra

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  WaterRaven 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

WaterRaven

So, last I read, there are no real notes on breeding Panda Garra in captivity. I cannot seem to find any information on breeding attempts and a lot of sources say they are all wild caught.

One message forum suggested that the males get a little colour on certain fins and tubercules. Here is the forum:
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/foru…read.php?t=2232

Excellent photos, by the by.

Not really planning a breeding program, but I do have two panda garra and would be very interested in seeing any signs of breeding and would gladly take notes if anything showed up that might be useful to other people.

Just brought it up as a conversational piece really

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hey WaterRaven. Here’s some reading for you on a boring Friday night.
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=…ght=panda+garra

Matt
    Keymaster

Or indeed here .

WaterRaven

QUOTE (plaamoo @ May 23 2009, 06:46 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey WaterRaven. Here’s some reading for you on a boring Friday night.
    http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=…ght=panda+garra

Wow, so the same poster posted their success story twice

Plaamoo
    Participant

OOOPs! Sorry Matt, didn’t know it was posted here also. I’m not familiar enough with his site yet, will have to remedy that! I have been making use of the knowledge base, great work!!

WaterRaven

QUOTE (plaamoo @ May 24 2009, 01:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    OOOPs! Sorry Matt, didn’t know it was posted here also. I’m not familiar enough with his site yet, will have to remedy that! I have been making use of the knowledge base, great work!!

If it’s any comfort, I appreciated both posts just the same

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (plaamoo @ May 24 2009, 02:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don’t worry about it at all both links contain separate discussions so are equally valid mate.

Thanks for the comment about the knowledge base.

WaterRaven

QUOTE (Matt @ May 24 2009, 03:07 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Don’t worry about it at all both links contain separate discussions so are equally valid mate.

Thanks for the comment about the knowledge base. Oh, excellent!

I am so very curious about them since people do not know a lot about them. I was a little dismayed to find out that they were wild caught and that “a lot” of fish in the trade(not sure what a lot means in actual percentage) are still wild caught.

I work for conservation and do my best to specifically avoid wild caught (but sometimes we are not always properly informed). I’ve seen it do a lot of damage to wild populations and their ecosystems. I am totally into reptiles and amphibians as well and stuck with a corn snake because they have been domesticated for 30 years and are from North America, where I live.

It would be nice to see a breeding program developed for the Garra and other species that we still do not know a lot about.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.