LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pangio spp.

This topic contains 107 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 143 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Am planning to work on a few Pangio species profiles next.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I will have a good look through my pics tomorrow Matt, I think I have images of:

P. anguillaris
    P. cuneovirgata
    P. doriae
    P. kuhlii
    P. myersi

Matt
    Keymaster

That’d be great Mark – I have a few of your pics but think they’re all P. kuhlii.

Matt
    Keymaster

So just to confirm – this should be P. cuneovirgata (Thomas’ pics).

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s something interesting and not widely reported – P. kuhlii is apparently endemic to Java with P. semicincta replacing it in Borneo, Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia. If that’s the case I wonder which is the common species in the trade.

If anyone has access to the relevant text from either of the following I’d really appreciate it:

– Kottelat, M. and A.J. Whitten. 1996. Freshwater fishes of Western Indonesia and Sulawesi: additions and corrections. Periplus Editions, Hong Kong. 8 p

– Kottelat, M. 1995. Malaiische Halbinsel und Indonesien: Die Dornaugen der Gattung Pangio. DATZ Aquarien-Terrarien 48: 304-309.

Thomas

Hi Matt, if I’m not mistaken, the DATZ-Article is a translation (but not one to one) of this pdf: http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/journal412.html

Matt
    Keymaster

Ah really? In Tan, H. H. and M. Kottelat. 2009 – Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwat. 20(1): 13-69
    The fishes of the Batang Hari drainage, Sumatra, with description of six new species
    the authors state that in both the references above Kottelat recognises P. kuhlii endemic to Java and P. semicincta to Sumatra, Borneo and Peninsular Malaysia but in the 1993 review Kottelat and Lim “tentatively” view P. semicincta as a synonym of P. kuhlii.

I’m trying to get hold of the reason(s) behind the change in opinion and suspect the images of Javanese P. kuhlii specimens by Fraser-Brunner (1940) are involved somehow so would love to see those too…

On a completely different note – do we know if P. myersi is bred on a commercial basis and whether or not the albino and leucistic forms are naturally-occurring or man-made?

Kajsa12
    Participant

Here’s something interesting and not widely reported – P. kuhlii is apparently endemic to Java with P. semicincta replacing it in Borneo, Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia. If that’s the case I wonder which is the common species in the trade.

I have read it on Antti Vuorela’s site before.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/vuorela.antti/sanggauenglish.htm

Matt
    Keymaster

Great, bit more info in that link.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Thomas don’t suppose you have any more images of P. piperata?

Thomas

Not really Matt, the two piperata died with a lot of new shelfordii, cuneovirgata and malayana a few days after I bought them. That was one of the darkest days in my aquarist live. The whole Pangio shipment in the shop died also.

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s a shame.

Thomas

yes Matt, I’ve seen this on another male that I get from private a few weeks ago. Look here: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2642

Matt
    Keymaster

I was meaning in other species actually but thanks for the link forgot about those pics and will add them to the profile later.

Thomas

Aah, ok

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.