LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Paracheirodon spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Paracheirodon spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rüdiger 5 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone ever bred any of these? Looking for details for the three profiles please!

Matt
    Keymaster

Seeing how the first question went so well (:D), has anyone had any long-term success keeping P. simulans in anything but soft, acidic water?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I am keepeing a healthy shoal of 20 P. simulans for more than a year without any losses in my S.A. community. I wouldn’t regard my water as exactly soft and acidic I guess. But judge for yourself:

pH:    7.5 – 8

TDS:  232 ppm

GH:    ~ 7

KH:    3 – 5 (due to fluctuating quality of tap water)

They have spawned occasionally but in that tank there’s no chance of any fry coming up.

Regards

R.

hachge
    Participant

To me pH below 7 is acidic and soft water is below180 µS 😀

My Betta and Paros are pH less than 4.5 and hardness 20/50 µS but this is extrem conditions for fish

oaken
    Participant

Did you try talking to Karel Zahrádka? I remember him posting pretty detailed reports about it on petfrd.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok great, guess I can adjust the profile details a little based on your experience Rudi.

Yep Herve, think the same. 🙂

Thanks for the heads up Gustav. Will ask Karel as well.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Matt,

you accidentally put the pH values into the temperature slot!! :-)

But as you’re busy with that anyway let me give you my temp regimen on the P. simulans, sice it deviates from commonly recommended temperatures quite a bit (as usual :-D ).

During the heating period I keep te tank at ~ 24° C.

Come spring, after switching the heater off,  it drops to 21 – 22° C.

When it gets really warm outside teperatures rise to a max of 28° C sofar.

Late fall before I switch the heater on again temps drop to about 22° C again.

I could not observe any difference in activity, health or (perceived) comfort in my specimens throughout the whole range of temperatures.

All (observed) spawnings have taken place at around 25° C.

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Just testing, just testing. 😀 Fixed now!

Thanks for the info Rudi. Apparently P. simulans lives in terra firme streams in the wild which tend to be quite warm but your experience just goes to show what kind of range such a small fish is capable of withstanding.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Yeah Matt, I was surprised myself. When I first dropped temps I did it of course very slowly, expecting especially P. simulans to show signs of discomfort sooner rather than later. But as I said, no signs whatsoever on the contrary, they seem to enjoy the change.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.