LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Paracobitis potanini

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Paracobitis potanini

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Does anyone per chance have any info on this species?

(It seems they may be available… but the information is very scarce.)

TIA

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve got a photo of one from Zhou but know nothing about the species Mike. It’s listed under the genus Homatula by CAS and seems to have been mentioned in a couple of recent papers. Let me see if I can get those for you.

Attached files

mikev
    Participant

I will greatly appreciate this!

Per Fishbase, the main reference is “Wu, Y. and C. Wu 1992 The fishes of the Qinghai-Xizang Plateau. Sichuan Publishing House of Science & Technology, Chengdu, China. 599 p.” and is in Chinese… I’ll try to locate this…maybe there are photos. And I asked for a photo from the exporter…if it shows up, I’ll post it.

(there are some other obscure items on the current export list… including a new species of leptobotia.)

andy rushworth
    Participant

Sounds good ! wonder what the Leptobotia is like ?

Matt
    Keymaster

What’s the Leptobotia listed as?

Sadly, in the UK, a branded chain of stores appears to have secured exclusivity on many Chinese species and they’re really expensive as a result.

andy rushworth
    Participant

I tend to buy very few fish these days ,as you say the prices have gone mad /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> anymore !

mikev
    Participant

Listed as
    > Chinese Koala Loach Leptobotia micropthalma
    No, I cannot afford this either, and it probably needs a dedicated 100g or so tank for a group, I’m only hoping to find out how it looks like. Paracobitis should be relatively small and within the affordability range, and I have a couple of new rivertanks being set up, so I’m thinking….
    Plus, I’m paying for some of the new fish with the things I raise.. the last time the deal was 60 danios for 11 hillstreams, no money involved, and some freed space as a bonus.

Price inflation did not get here yet… You can see a snap picture of what is available in the US now here.

Some of the more interesting items are sadly monopolized by a company that I’d rather not deal with (those “borrowed photos” and other things…)

mikev
    Participant

Well, this took only four months…. Fingers crossed now, the fish is gorgeous, and larger than advertised 2.5″ too… at least 3.5″.

The.Dark.One

Excuse the poor pic. This was taken at a Paracobitis-potanini.jpgMaidenhead Aquatics.

mikev
    Participant

Also, a poor pic, this was taken right after acclimating them:
    http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/pcp1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Ooh very cute!

mikev
    Participant

Very cute and so far I did not see any aggression… need to figure out an appropriate dither for them, set up a real tank and take decent photos.

Any ideas on what may go nicely with them? D.dangila is one idea I have… R.kalochroma is another… or Traccatichthys pulcher?

An interesting shot found here:

http://www.predatoryfishkeepers.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=560&title=albino-paracobitis-potanini&cat=502&language=eu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.