LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parasitic worms!

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parasitic worms!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Day 2 of treating the Q tank with flubendazole and I see this floating by in the current. P. fangi & e sp. redspot for fish. Tank has been set up for a week. Bare bottom, rocks from other tanks, filter media from an established tank but only hard bio-media, no sludge. It’s barely a cm long. What is it? Where did it come from? From inside a fish???

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/_1_16_zps8f115e85.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/_1_17_zps75634be9.jpg

mikev
    Participant

You sure this is a worm and not say uneaten (undigested) bloodworm? Are they alive? Can you get a cleared photo?

Having said this, two things:

1. The problem, if there is one, is p.fangi. They are least healthy looking on my end too, and in fact some look skinny and make me think of internal parasites… albeit I do not know if what you see are the parasites that cause the problem. And while I did not see any external problems like you described on mine, it is known that fish weakened by internal parasites is prone to secondary diseases.

2. If I may so suggest: consider not quarantining different groups together, even if they come from the same store (unless you know they come from the same tank)… I got burned with this a couple of times very badly, years ago, and now consider this to be absolute not-to-do thing.

Plaamoo
    Participant

There’s only one so far. Most definitely alive. These pics are pretty good if you can open in a viewer that will let you enlarge them. Of course I agree with your point about keeping them separate. It just wasn’t an option.

http://youtu.be/Z7g0QguCw9E

mikev
    Participant

Here is what I want to see on the photo: It appears that the worm is segmented, Annelida (rather than round, Nematode) but I cannot be quite sure about this…almost but just not enough resolution… Segmented worms are normally not parasites. OTOH, leaches are Annelida…. ?!

Maybe a good idea to repost this on r-f.org, ColinT has a good sense of critters like this…

Plaamoo
    Participant

Def looks segmented. Will do tomorrow.

Ferrika
    Participant

Looks for me like a mosquito larva. Jim. Must not be a bloodworm, it may be an other species. You can see in the photos the tufts on the abdomen.

mikev
    Participant

mosquito larva was my first guess…. but notice that it can kill smaller balitorids just as parasitic worms… if Anthony fed them live bloodworms he was deeply wrong, balitorids are not gobies. Want to call him and ask?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I sent a pic to Dr. Charles Harrison, from whom I buy flubendazole, his reply.

“This is a larva of one of those white fly guys that you see in the fish room from time to time. Totally insignificant in the parasite category. Great fish food though. Just enlarge the image so the segments of the worm can be seen. The tail looks much like that of a mosquito’s. There needs to be a way to breath air or hold on to the water surface. They are much like Blood worms but without the color.”

Thanks Mike & Jutta!

mikev
    Participant

Totally insignificant in the parasite category.

—wrong. It can easily kill 1″ loaches.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.