LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parasphaerichthys lineatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parasphaerichthys lineatus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  FKS 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Hi everyone

Been discussing these wee guys with Stefan today and coincidently I have found a pair defending a nest… but not as I expected. I have a group of *I think* ten or so adults in a heavily planted 18″ cube tank on my windowsill and occasionally I have seen what looked like small bubblenests, as per what I would have expected for breeding.

I have in the past seen that some of the smaller individuals which I expected were males changing to an orange-ish colour with a blackish head and I have also heard them making quite audible croaking noises too.

The nest I have found today is in a small hollow in the mulm on the tank substrate and there is a clutch of some 30 or so eggs. The male and female are both defending the nest area but the female is taking up most of her time at the eggs. Both fish will sometimes pick up an egg in their mouth and spit it back out into the small depression.

This is not what I expected with a gourami species??? Stuff I had read had them as a surface bubblenester? Anyone got any comments?

Some pics…

The pair…

male and eggs

female and eggs

Stefan

Male in flaring colouration. Looks familiar Colin?

I’ll jump right in Colin’s interesting thread. What you feel are males indeed males (see description). They are a bubblenesting species alright; every spawning report says so and there’s a photo of a bubblenest underneath a stone slightly above the bottom, with eggs, on page 249 of the description. To the best of my knowledge – and I have been keeping track of this genus because it has always interested me greatly – your experience is hitherto unique. Something must have triggered their depositing eggs on the bottom rather than in a bubblenest. Safety reasons? Their mouthing the eggs is probably them cleaning them since they now lack a bubblenest keeping bacteria away. They’re probably using their mouth glands to do that. Interesting mechanism that got triggered there as well. I smell an article? What’s that woody stuff? Did they make the pit themselves?

Matt
    Keymaster

Wow, interesting.

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ May 8 2011, 02:44 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wow, interesting.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Very interesting Colin! i love these little fish! Hope the eggs hatch.

Colin
    Participant

Hi

yeah they are a lovely little fish -I hope that the eggs hatch too. I’ll take some pics of the whole tank soon.

Yes Stefan, that is exactly like the male in that photo.

I wonder too about this breeding strategy, could it be a transitional stage from bubblenesting to mouthbrooding? Just thinking out loud here

The woody stuff is the left over stems from last year’s spearwort – Ranunculus lingua

Kevin Marshall
    Participant

Hi Colin ……Yes this is exactly what I observed a few days ago when I spoke with you . Only my male had built a small nest only a few bubbles which appeared glued to to a piece of java fern root …

These observations also make sense of my previous observations please refer to AAGB Labyrinth article/ newsletter 161 November 2010 based on observations I made 6 years ago. At that time they spawned in a more accepted manner as expected, building a bubble nest under a leaf, but were later seen this spawning in this alternate way….. This is very interesting to say the least. Thanks for photographing this Colin.and adding some credibility to my ramblings . I have a feeling that we still have a lot to learn about this little fish.

Colin
    Participant

Hi Kevin, Thanks for joining and chiming in!!!

Colin
    Participant

Also, just for completeness – I should mention that the temperature of the water today is 21C and pH is 6.8, the fish are fed mainly from the breeding population of beasties that live in the tank but also grindalworms and BBS

Plaamoo
    Participant

I had 6, unfortunately only one left. I haven’t seen than available again here. My water params are similar except for the temp, more like 25c.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index….ic=2381&hl=

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ May 8 2011, 04:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also, just for completeness – I should mention that the temperature of the water today is 21C and pH is 6.8, the fish are fed mainly from the breeding population of beasties that live in the tank but also grindalworms and BBS

Beasties?

Colin
    Participant

copepods, amphipods, infusoria, paramecium, you name it… i set this tank up with plants and some mud straight from a pond

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ May 8 2011, 09:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    copepods, amphipods, infusoria, paramecium, you name it… i set this tank up with plants and some mud straight from a pond

Ah alright! You recon they would accept frozen/dry foods as well? I always get Cyclops in my tanks; very handy!!

Colin
    Participant

they take prima and frozen too, not fussy just has to be small for their wee mouths!

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ May 8 2011, 09:37 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    they take prima and frozen too, not fussy just has to be small for their wee mouths!

Sounds good; I’ve always got small foods around, in all forms. This species, lineatus, is the smallest labyrinthfish as far as I know; ocellatus is somewhat larger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.