LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parasphaerichthys ocellatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parasphaerichthys ocellatus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

ste12000

I took a trip to see Neil at Pier aquatics last week, most of the fish in this shop are always very desirable but i stumbled upon a real jem in one of the tanks.. Parasphaerichthys ocellatus is a tiny little gourami closely related to the ‘chocolate’ gouramis, its the second member of the Parasphaerichthys genus and along with Parasphaerichthys lineatus are the smallest gourami species recorded to date.

As far as im aware there are no reported spawning of this particular fish so hopefully i can get this changed and see some breeding action.

The 8 fish are installed into a 24x8x8 with leaf litter substrate and a few artificial plants so its a case of feeding them well and observing whats going on..

Colin
    Participant

Good find – I have not had any luck from mine yet. I think that someone in the IGL bred them??? Will check.

In fact, perhaps Frank knows???

Also, watch that the leaves don’t acidify the water too much as they are not an acidic blackwater fish

will be interesting to see if they are as variable in their breeding strategies as P. lineatus?

cheers

Colin
    Participant

How’d they settle in?

FKS
    Participant

Bubble nest of P. ocellatus. To be continued…

Stefan

That’s brilliant FKS; no one has bred these before but has only had the start of a bubblenest. As far as is known you are the first; congratulations!

FKS
    Participant

Stefan,

yes. I’ve never seen a picture of an ocellatus nest before. Maybe this is the first one…and too bad  it is impossible to make a photo showing the nest and the male guarding it (while the female is guarding the area around the nest).

Indeed I separated the nest. Let’s look how this works. Hope that there isn’t a mouthbreeding-part in the reproduction of this species!

By the way: as expected the eggs show the same markings like those of P. lineatus

cheers

Frank

Stefan

Why seperate it? Much harder to get them to hatch 😉 Left with the parents you can sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Nect time maybe?

I do not know if such a picture exists. I’ll ask the friend who observed a bubblenest years ago.

I do not expect a mouthbrooding part in this species, or the other, single, congener of the genus. If they do mouth eggs/fry it’s to move them about – that’s my experience with labyrinth fishes anyway. Do you have photos of the parents themselves?

Again, nicely done, Frank, please keep posting! I, for one, am intrigued!

FKS
    Participant

I think there is no chance to raise the fry in the tank. So, I’ll give it a try. Didn’t had much problems with hatching the lineatus eggs, so this might work as well.

I still have to make some pictures of the paire. Not easy in this tank setup. But this is the female. Note the belly!

FKS
    Participant

So. This is the pair. Looks like they try to get to their nest…

pair at the breeding tank with their nest:

male:

female:

Stefan

Nice shots Frank! Like that cork floating about. I asked my friend about photos of his nest but unfortunately he didn’t make any.

FKS
    Participant

@stefan said:
    Like that cork floating about

Actually the water surface is covered with floating cork and film containers. I noticed that Parasphaerichthys like to stay directly at the water surface and always at or close to covers. So, maybe this is an important aspect for the success? I think this reduces stress and provides spawning caves.

cheers

Frank

edit:… and a much better close-up picture of the nest

Stefan

I can’t speak for ocellatus, but my lineatus were always about everywhere; surface, bottom, mid-water etc. Only a few plants on the surface and some in the sand – which was full of leaves and big lumps of moss.

FKS
    Participant

@stefan said:
    I can’t speak for ocellatus, but my lineatus were always about everywhere

Same thing here. Also the ocellatus can be found in mid-water unless you put those hiding places on the water surface. Now they are always close to surface… and spawn ;)

Matt
    Keymaster

Brilliant, congratulations Frank! Did you see any of the courtship?

FKS
    Participant

@matt said:
    Brilliant, congratulations Frank! Did you see any of the courtship?

A couple of days ago I noticed that the pair got a high-contrast coloration of white and black markings similar to a chess board and also very similar to how they look when they are in panic. But I haven’t seen anything like a courtship. Since I noticed the bubble nest they looked like you can see on the pcitures above. So, not to compare with lineatus…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.