LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parc De Collserola

Home Forums The Lounge Parc De Collserola

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Last week I spent a few hours wandering around a small part of this huge natural park on the edge of Barcelona city centre. It’s a massive (85 square kilometre) space and is the biggest municipal park in the world. To be honest it doesn’t feel like a park at all was you walk around because the forest is very well-established and the air is incredibly clean and fresh compared with that of the city. It was my first visit and I was alone so I didn’t know any prime spots for finding animals unfortunately but I will go back (hopefully with park staff) as I’d love to see some of the species living there. They have wild boar, genet, red squirrel, fox, badger, stone marten, LOADS of birds and (for me the really interesting part), fire salamander, around 10 frog/toad species including tree frogs, a couple of newt species, lots of snakes, three species of turtle, geckos and ocellated lizard. Anyway here are the few pics I did take, hope you like.

Forest views:

Acanthus mollis

Cirsium sp.?

Unidentified species:

Tadpoles of (I think) Triturus helveticus (palmate newt) plus the pond they were living in. Check out the mosquito larvae/water flea party!

Malva sp.?

Last couple of shots showing the beautiful forest:

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

*jaw drops*

what types offrog/toad species,newt , snakes, three species of turtle, geckos and ocellated lizard?

I’d do some specimen collection

Eyrie
    Participant

I was jealous until you mentioned snakes. Lots of snakes

Richy
    Participant

looks very nice and tranquil there and I can see why you wanted to share /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Thankfully i don’t live in the city and have lots of lovely scenery and wildlife close by /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers guys, and sorry Mark/Richy! /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> Karlos there are over 300 species of vertebrate found living wild in the park, so I’ll just include the reptiles and ‘phibians for now as I’m typing by hand. Here goes:

Reptiles:

Testudo hermanni – Hermann’s Tortoise
    Mauremys leprosa – Mediterranean Pond Turtle (pic below)

Emys orbicularis – European Pond Turtle
    Trachemys scripta – Red-eared Slider/Terrapin
    Tarentola mauritanica – Moorish Gecko
    Hemidactylus turcicus – Turkish/Mediterranean House Gecko
    Anguis fragilis – Slow Worm
    Podarcis Hispanica – Iberian Wall Lizard
    Lacerta lepida – Ocellated Lizard (pic below)

Psammodromus algirus
    Psammodromus hispanicus – Spanish Psammodromus
    Natrix maura – (no common name but a species of water snake)
    Natrix natrix – Grass snake
    Elaphe scalaris – Ladder snake
    Malpolon monspessulanus – Montpellier snake
    Coronella girondica – Southern Smooth snake
    Vibora hocicuda – this is the snake I really want to see; it just looks really smug (ie. hard as nails

Amphibians:
    Salamandra salamandra – Fire Salamander. This area has it’s own form of this variable species.
    Triturus helveticus – Palmate newt
    Triturus marmoratus – Marbled newt. Really stunning species, this (see pic).:

Alytes obstetricans – Midwife Toad
    Pelobates cultripes – Western Spadefoot Toad
    Pelodytes punctatus – Parsley Frog
    Rana perezi – Perez’ Frog
    Bufo bufo – Common Toad
    Bufo calamita – Natterjack Toad
    Hyla meridionalis – Mediterranean/Stripeless Tree Frog (pics)

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

if i’m not mistaken Natrix maura is commonly known as the viperine snake, sorry fro giving you loads to type Matt but thanks /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Just a small warning

Venomous snakes in Spain
    There are a total of 13 snakes present in Spain of which five are venomous. These are:

Seoane’s viper (Vipera seoanei – víbora de Seoane)
    Asp viper (Vipera aspis – víbora áspid)
    Snub-nosed or Lataste’s viper (Viborade lataste – vibora hocicuda)
    False smooth snake (Macroprotodon cucullatus – culebra de cogulla)
    Montpellier Snake (Malpolon monspessulanus – culebra bastarda or de Montpellier)

source

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers for the info Karlos, I’m no snake expert that’s for sure.

Malti
    Participant

By far the commonest of the vipers, Lataste’s viper, is present throughout the rest of the Peninsula, though nowhere is it common. It is grey, short (around 50cm) and is distinguished by its triangular head and the zigzag pattern on its back. It lives in dry, rocky areas, away from humans and is timid, but don’t go sticking your hands in holes and crevices and be careful when collecting firewood as viper bites can be fatal.

The other two snakes are not so dangerous, but watch out for the 2-metre long Montpellier snake. It is blue with a white underbelly -don’t go picking one up to check- and has prominent ridges over the eyes. However, the position of its venom fangs means that you would be unlucky to have poison injected into you, and if you are, its venom is much weaker then the vipers.

If you are bitten by a snake, remain calm and seek medical attention immediately(keep a mobile or two handy). Bites only occur in the spring and summer as snakes hibernate. Of the estimated 50 snakebite deaths a year in Europe, only 3-6 occur in Spain, so don’t worry too much.

So unless you’re sticking your hand inside dark holes, should be no problem. And from personal experience never corner a snake – if u corner one by mistake, move slowly back and leave an opening…it should go away.

ps or else take richie and mark with you…they’ll start screaming when they see the snake and scare it to death

Eyrie
    Participant

You’d hear me in Malta, Karlos. And I’d be running that fast you’d see me a few seconds later.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 15 2008, 08:55 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You’d hear me in Malta, Karlos. And I’d be running that fast you’d see me a few seconds later.

then when I hear you I’d open a coupla beers…appropriate welcome for a friend

Eyrie
    Participant

Sounds a plan

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 15 2008, 11:19 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sounds a plan /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

ps lemme add some pics that matt didn’t have – sorry mark more snakes

Natrix maura – Viperine Snake

Natrix Natrix – Grass Snake

Elaphe scalaris – Ladder snake

Malpolon monspessulanus – Montpellier snake

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.