LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parosphromenus deissneri

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parosphromenus deissneri

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

sorab

A pic of this fellow may be useful for the database as it has no pic yet. I use the knowledge base a lot. its a great resource.
    Cheers
    Peter

Stefan

I’m pretty sure that’s not deissneri but bintan, because the caudal filament is missing.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Peter we’ll definitely use it. It’ll probably be a few weeks though as I’m working to a rough system but anabantoids are pencilled in for an update shortly.

oaken
    Participant

Nice picture. There’s a weird thing about deissneri though, I got some F1 adults P. deissneri that don’t have a pointed caudal fin, but their parents did. The parents were collected by Horst Linke and Thor Dahl in 2008. So it’s a bit of a mystery to me about whether the pointed caudal fin is a way to distinguish deissneri from bintan or not.

Here is my male for reference:

Stefan

QUOTE (oaken @ Jan 21 2011, 12:42 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice picture. There’s a weird thing about deissneri though, I got some F1 adults P. deissneri that don’t have a pointed caudal fin, but their parents did. The parents were collected by Horst Linke and Thor Dahl in 2008. So it’s a bit of a mystery to me about whether the pointed caudal fin is a way to distinguish deissneri from bintan or not.

Here is my male for reference:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/blo…pp/CRW_2481.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/blo…pp/CRW_2480.jpg

Maybe they ID’d it incorrectly? According to the paper it’s a diagnostic, but if that F1 lacks the caudal filament it cannot be a diagnostic. – You’ve all got very nice specimens and pics, I must add.

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jan 21 2011, 01:32 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Maybe they ID’d it incorrectly? According to the paper it’s a diagnostic, but if that F1 lacks the caudal filament it cannot be a diagnostic. – You’ve all got very nice specimens and pics, I must add.

Their parents were collected at the type locality, so I would assume it’s the right fish, unless there it co-exists with some other species in nature.

Although the holotype for P. deissneri isn’t actually well preserved, see picture in this article below:

http://www.akvarieviden.dk/artikler/Parosp…mp;_ng_1998-123

Stefan

QUOTE (oaken @ Jan 21 2011, 03:28 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Their parents were collected at the type locality, so I would assume it’s the right fish, unless there it co-exists with some other species in nature.

Although the holotype for P. deissneri isn’t actually well preserved, see picture in this article below:

http://www.akvarieviden.dk/artikler/Parosp…mp;_ng_1998-123

In that case I remove any doubt from my mind, and agree yours are deissneri

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jan 21 2011, 03:36 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    In that case I remove any doubt from my mind, and agree yours are deissneri /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Stefan

QUOTE (oaken @ Jan 21 2011, 04:45 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well there’s supposedly three species of Parosphromenus on Bangka. Parosphromenus deissneri, P. bintan and an undescribed species that has red colouration in it’s fins as well. The fish with round caudal fins occur on the west side of the island the ones with a pointed caudal fin on the east side.

Then there’s more undescribed species that looks like bintan

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jan 21 2011, 08:23 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Would you know where I can find pics of this undescribed species, and what it’s temporary label is?

Further down in the article I posted earlier http://www.akvarieviden.dk/artikler/Parosp…mp;_ng_1998-123

Parosphromenus spec. ”Bangka Rød” (Dahl, 2008).

Rød meaning red. I don’t think they have ever been exported since then though.

oaken
    Participant

A norwegian Paro-keeper said that Thor Dahl apparently stated that he caught P. deissneri with rounded caudal fins and pointed caudal fins at the same place!

Stefan

QUOTE (oaken @ Jan 22 2011, 11:47 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Further down in the article I posted earlier http://www.akvarieviden.dk/artikler/Parosp…mp;_ng_1998-123

Parosphromenus spec. ”Bangka Rød” (Dahl, 2008).

Rød meaning red. I don’t think they have ever been exported since then though.

Cheers! Nice fish, they remind me of something I can’t quite place…

QUOTE (oaken @ Jan 22 2011, 11:51 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A norwegian Paro-keeper said that Thor Dahl apparently stated that he caught P. deissneri with rounded caudal fins and pointed caudal fins at the same place!

That’s too far from the source for me ha ha! Wasn’t it spades for the gents and round for the damsels? I’m just musing…

Humunuku
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jan 22 2011, 12:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (oaken)

That’s too far from the source for me ha ha! Wasn’t it spades for the gents and round for the damsels? I’m just musing…

I was told this by Thor when I picked up some P. deissneri that did not have pointed caudal fins a couple of weeks ago, supposed to have been collected at Bangka.

I’ll try to get Thor to write something about his findings, so that it won’t just be someone who heard someone say.something. 🙂

Stefan

QUOTE (Humunuku @ Jan 22 2011, 08:12 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was told this by Thor when I picked up some P. deissneri that did not have pointed caudal fins a couple of weeks ago, supposed to have been collected at Bangka.

I’ll try to get Thor to write something about his findings, so that it won’t just be someone who heard someone say.something. 🙂

I didn’t mean it in a bad way, though

Matt
    Keymaster

Intriguing stuff guys am interested to learn more also.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.