LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parosphromenus 'sintangensis'

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parosphromenus 'sintangensis'

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Stefan 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

BigTom
    Participant

Well, I don’t know what’s got into the Paros today, they’re normally very shy, but have been marauding around all over the place…

That last one was shot with the flash behind, instead of in front, so there’s no reflection from the blue photosites, but it really shows off the iridescence on their bodies.

Colin
    Participant

Looking good!

I think that Parosphromenus sp. “Sentang” is the right moniker for these guys just now but also seen Sentang spelt Sintang?

anyone?

BigTom
    Participant

Yeah meant to ask about that Colin. Will see if anyone here has an opinion… I’m waiting for a moderator to accept my account over on the IGL so I can ask there.

I’ll also be interested to find out if they keep up this level of activity – 2 days ago I changed out the bulb in the metal halide from a 6k to a 3.5k colour temp, which has exaggerated the tannins in the water. Wonder if it makes them feel more secure…

Matt
    Keymaster

Sintang is a place in West Kalimantan, Borneo, whereas the only placed with ‘Sentang’ in the name appear to be this or this. Where are the fish from chaps?

P.S. scratch that, seems there’s a Sentang on Borneo too.

BigTom
    Participant

Heh, thanks for the sleuthing Matt. Any idea where your exporter got them from Colin?

BigTom
    Participant

From IGL –

“Parosphromenus “sintangensis” is no discribed species. In Germany they could be often found in trade for the last 5 years, cause they are exported in lange quantities from a indonesian dealer. It´s very near to P. bintan. We call this form as a local form of P. cf. bintan “Sentang”. Sentang is in Indonesia (Sumatra). Horst Linke has been there and could find/ catch them. “

Colin
    Participant

This from Horst –

Hello Colin,
    Parosphromenus sintagensis is not a true species. This Paro come from area Sentang in Provinz Sumatra Selantan, south from Provice Jambi. The correct name is Parosphromenus sp. Sentang.
    Best regards
    Horst

BigTom
    Participant

That seems pretty much agreed on then!

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup, it’s that last place I posted for sure!

oaken
    Participant

The bintan-group is a bunch of species that are very hard to ID correctly. There’s a whole lot of species that pretty much look the same

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Aug 8 2011, 06:53 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This from Horst –

Hello Colin,
    Parosphromenus sintagensis is not a true species. This Paro come from area Sentang in Provinz Sumatra Selantan, south from Provice Jambi. The correct name is Parosphromenus sp. Sentang.
    Best regards
    Horst

LOL I already said that 6 weeks ago

Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.