LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pearl gouramies looking a bit odd.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Pearl gouramies looking a bit odd.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  helsch 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

plesner
    Participant

Hi,

A friend of mine bought a group of pearl gouramies in what is probably the best place to buy fish in Copenhagen. According to the shop they’re bred in Denmark. When she came home with them and studied them in their tank, she thought that they did look somewhat odd. Though they look nowhere as awful as balloon pearl gouramies, they do look a bit short and high-bodied and the fins are quite extreme (especially in the males) for fish which sizewise shouldn’t quite be adults yet.

What is your opinion?

IMG_5036.jpeg

IMG_5038.jpeg

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg

IMG_5044.jpeg

TIA,

Plesner

plesner
    Participant

I just received a picture of yet another one of the pearl gouramies. Though it’s fairly small in this picture, it does look a lot worse than the other ones.

Pearl.jpeg

torso
    Participant

they look odd. here some pics of wild caught

http://www.igl-home.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6176

it’s a pity that selection leeds to these forms.

on the IGL-website I’ve read a remark: good news is, that this species resists all tentatives to breed colour forms. and now this

http://www.aquariumglaser.de/de/archiv.php?news_id=1288

cheers Charles

helsch
    Participant

Hi, –

those are actually my fish, – and thanks plesner for uploading.

I can confirm that the fish are odd indeed, – and in fact,  I am not in doubt any longer, – they are simply not ‘natural’, they have been bred to look like this, – with a strong emphasis on lots of sparkling colours and extended fins, – short bodies.

It seems in this particular batch some of them are ‘worse’ than others, – some of them may look slightly as the normal ones. But theres one ‘freak’ fish, looking very little like a normal gurami in fact.

I just had to ask my fellow hobbyists if this could really be true, I had never expected this to happen when one went to an ordinary shop and wanted to buy ordinary pearl guramies.

I will most likely return them to the shop. Although in many ways they are pretty striking beatiful I hate the idea of having fish like that in my tank.

Thanks for any reply which can contribute to solving or understanding this problem

helsch
    Participant

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1729-1.JPGsorry :) I dont seem to be able to put the photos right, – but heres just a few more better pictures. The large pearl in the back is my ‘old’ normal one :)

Matt
    Keymaster

Short-bodied pearl gouramis, whatever next? Cry

oaken
    Participant

I recently saw short bodied Ctenopoma acutirostre. The funny thing is they go for a higher price than the normal ones. Apparently “short body fish” seems to be a big trend among “monster” fishkeepers. 

helsch
    Participant

With these ‘pearls’ the thing is as plesner wrote – they look totally matured and fins and colours are as it would be in a very matured normal fish, but bodywise they look like ‘teenagers’ if anything.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.