LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Peten Update Cont'd

Home Forums The Lounge Peten Update Cont'd

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

Wherever one lives, a damp foggy City or lost in a wilderness paradise, life is a series of swings and roundabouts. This is especially true when nature is left to its own devices.
    We have several species of Hummingbirds. One day we were lucky enough to discover that one of the Rufous Tailed species (Amazilia tzacatl) had built a nest in the garden and laid two eggs. It was in a convenient place for a tripod to be set up with camera at maximum zoom. Incubation takes 10 to 14 days so we waited patiently. One day to our horror we found the nest empty.
    My eagle eyed gardener soon discovered the reason. We had a green tree snake in the garden who had obviously done the dirty deed. Not enough evidence to bring into court but the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming. The five foot snake(Leptophis ahaetulla) was very fast moving and rapidly disappeared into the canopy frustrating our attempts to execute justice.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Great stuff John – that snake dangerous to humans?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 26 2010, 05:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great stuff John – that snake dangerous to humans?

No Matt quite harmless. Most of the dangerous ones usually, sensibly stay in the jungle. We do sometimes find a small coral snake in the garden. I keep several outdoor cats which keep the garden free of small serpents and rodents.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.