LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pix Of The Fish Shed…

Home Forums The Lounge Pix Of The Fish Shed…

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nikhil 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

I borrowed a friend’s Canon 10-22mm lens and took a few pics in the shed today. It’s a very wide lens so it does distort the pics slightly lol

It’s a converted portacabin and this summer I am going to attach a 20foot by 8 foot lean-to greenhouse to it for all my pitcher plants and a few subtropical ponds for Channa etc…

It was much cheaper to get the portacabin and insulate it than to buy a shed and start from scratch… and when it is too small, I can just place another right beside it lol

inside pics…

Colin
    Participant

for an idea of scale the racks are all 1200mm wide (48″)

the tank with the 2 O. exodon gouramies is a 48x24x24 (1200x600x600mm) and the sump underneath is used for water changes

Bit different from when you seen the empty shell Stefan?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I really like it Colin! I don’t see any lines so you must have gone underground with the power? How are you heating it?
    I need one(or 2) of these!

Malti
    Participant

I want one like that….

what have you got as stock Colin?

keith565
    Participant

fantastic mate. wish i had the room for another shed. what are the dimensions?

Colin
    Participant

Thanks guys

The stock is vast Malti but I’ll be putting up a list soon – mostly labyrinth fish just now but it is really quite an eclectic mix.

Plamoo – The shed already came with 2″ of wall insulation, we added a second layer with stud wall and more insulation and then a layer of the silver bubble wrap for extra heat retention. When the second internal wall was being built we ran the wires through the wall studs so there are only the electric sockets on show behind a few tanks.

The shed is space heated by a 2000w oscillating fan heater and that’s all. Top tanks sit at 28 and bottom tanks about 18. There is also a Channa aurantimaculata tank with a hole drilled to the outside world underneath it so it gets colder air from the outside so it sits at 14C just now!!! Its important if you want to breed them to give them a winter.

All the tanks are ran by one 80w evolution aqua air pump

it had to be as cost efficient as possible and the shed costs about £3 a day in electricity

cheers

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jan 31 2011, 07:07 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what are the dimensions?

bump,lol

Matt
    Keymaster

Looking very good Colin, and the greenhouse plan sounds great. 3 quid a day isn’t bad at all either!

Bluedave
    Participant

Fantastic mate, absolutely brilliant.

I want one!

Colin
    Participant

sorry Keith, it was early!

20x8x8

Eyrie
    Participant

Quite some set up.

I presume there’s a simple system for doing water changes?

Colin
    Participant

Hi, partly yes….

I have to say that in a big set up with a lot of tanks it is easy to overlook things and problems can sneak up on you. My regime is to only do water changes the old fashioned way with a length of hose and that’s because you spend a few mins looking at the fish, the tank the filter etc and generally just observing. Its a good time to spot any problems.

I have made it a bit easier because the hose has a grill on it so that fish cant be sucked in and as well as the sink I have two upstanding pipes leading to the drain for waste water.

All the tanks are individually filtered and there is no centralised system. I might do this in the future but only for a few tanks.

The new water either comes from sump tanks where it is left with a vigorous airstone for at least 24 hours or I also have a 4 stage RO/DI unit which fills a 48x18x18 overnight with water for the next day – it also has a big airstone.

The water is pumped into the tanks via an eheim with a control tap.

The shed is fully plumbed with mains water and there are two taps and a ballcock on the big sump which can be turned off independently. You might be able to see the blue plastic hose on the ceiling and that is from the RO unit.

The grey plastic pipe on the ceiling is the air reservoir from the pump and it is a ring that I can just drill into at any point where I need an air supply.

Just no space left for a wine rack!

Incidentally, If you are ever thinking about a fish shed then the idea with the portacabin is a fraction of the cost of building from scratch!!!! Always a bonus

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 31 2011, 01:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    sorry Keith, it was early!

20x8x8

wow, great size mate. now, if i can only get rid of the missus. perhaps UNDER new shed

Colin
    Participant

yeah, no one would look there

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Excellent stuff Colin, I looked into a portacabin for my fish house before the pond went in, the cost of the cabin was next to nothing but the cost to get it in was unbeleivable because they would have had to lift it over the house to get it in because we are surrounded on all sides

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.