LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Plants In A Low-lit Clown Loach Tank

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Plants In A Low-lit Clown Loach Tank

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

rob
    Participant

Hi guys!

I’ve set up a clown loach tank, which is only lit by 1 T8 30” 25w marine blue actinic tube; are there any plants that will survive in such low lighting? I’m not too concerned if they won’t thrive & grow, just survive! I’m looking for large-leafed plants if poss, as there’s a couple of powerheads in the tank, and the loach used to dig up or nibble at small-leafed plants.

cheers, Rob

Matt
    Keymaster

Señor Gudgeon, can it be true?? /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> Have you tried Anubias mate? You can grow it attached to bogwood or rocks.

Bluedave
    Participant

How big is the tank, mate?

As Matt said anubias species will do well in low light set up’s, there are some very different looking varietes and all sorts of different sizes:

Anubias barteri var. barteri is the biggest and most robust of the anubias (45cm height)
    Anubias barteri var. angustifolia
    Tropica do a couple of decent sized one – Anubias barteri var. coffefolia and anubias var. caladifolia 1705.

Anubias Barteri Var. nana will do well but doesn’t grow big at all, makes a nice foreground plant in big low light set ups.

Other plants that do well in low light –

Java fern is a classic – again there are different types (narrow and forked etc)
    Vallis and Hygrophilia polysperma can do ok down to 0.5 WPG.
    Cryptocoryne sp. do VERY well in low light (in fact they prefer it in a lot of cases). There are even more varieties available than anubias.
    Amazon Swords (Ech. Bleheri) will manage with low light but will take ages to grow and require a lot of iron.

Java fern and anubias are the most robust plants (attached to wood or rocks) to have with clowns as they have a tendency to dig everything else up! Crypts might not do so well in with the clowns, as they are not really robust enough IMO.

Thats about your lot I reckon – loads of anubias and java fern would look good I reckon.

Pics below of one of my old set ups (had a lot of light though!) with a massive Anubias var. Barteri (on the left) and foreground of anubias var. nana at the front. This set up had 3 clown loaches in it that were forever digging stuff up!

Hope all that helps!

Eyrie
    Participant

Definitely java fern. It’s the only plant I have left in my Sumatran tank because the clowns trashed the rest (including my attempt at a cryptocorene lawn)

Attached files

Bluedave
    Participant

Great set up Eyrie

rob
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 22 2009, 12:23 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Señor Gudgeon, can it be true?? /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> Have you tried Anubias mate? You can grow it attached to bogwood or rocks.

hello mate

rob
    Participant

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Jul 22 2009, 11:59 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How big is the tank, mate?

hi Dave. it’s 18G (36x12x10 of water, with a couple of inches of sand/rocks at the bottom); I know this is way too small for the loaches, but I plan on moving house in the next year, when they’ll be moving to a 6 foot+ tank just for them, in the meantime, just trying to do the best I can with where they are… apparently I’m now allowed more than 5 tanks in the living room & 2 in the kitchen < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

As Matt said anubias species will do well in low light set up’s, there are some very different looking varietes and all sorts of different sizes:

Anubias barteri var. barteri is the biggest and most robust of the anubias (45cm height)
    Anubias barteri var. angustifolia
    Tropica do a couple of decent sized one – Anubias barteri var. coffefolia and anubias var. caladifolia 1705.

Anubias Barteri Var. nana will do well but doesn’t grow big at all, makes a nice foreground plant in big low light set ups.

Other plants that do well in low light –

Java fern is a classic – again there are different types (narrow and forked etc)
    Vallis and Hygrophilia polysperma can do ok down to 0.5 WPG.
    Cryptocoryne sp. do VERY well in low light (in fact they prefer it in a lot of cases). There are even more varieties available than anubias.
    Amazon Swords (Ech. Bleheri) will manage with low light but will take ages to grow and require a lot of iron.

Java fern and anubias are the most robust plants (attached to wood or rocks) to have with clowns as they have a tendency to dig everything else up! Crypts might not do so well in with the clowns, as they are not really robust enough IMO.

Thats about your lot I reckon – loads of anubias and java fern would look good I reckon.

thanks a lot for all this, gives me lots of good stuff to go on, nearly ready to go shopping now!

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Jul 22 2009, 11:59 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Pics below of one of my old set ups (had a lot of light though!) with a massive Anubias var. Barteri (on the left) and foreground of anubias var. nana at the front. This set up had 3 clown loaches in it that were forever digging stuff up!

Hope all that helps!

wow, lovely pics & tanks! something to aspire to…

rob
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 22 2009, 11:22 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Definitely java fern. It’s the only plant I have left in my Sumatran tank because the clowns trashed the rest (including my attempt at a cryptocorene lawn)

Bluedave
    Participant

Is there a reason why your using actinic? Could you not change the bulb to a daylight one?

You’ve actually got 1.16 watts per gallon (WPG) on the tank, I’m assuming the 18 Gal is UK Gallons. WPG is measured in US Gallons so thats 25 watts /21.6 US Gal.

If you change to a daylight tube thats plenty of light for all the above plants.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (rob @ Jul 23 2009, 06:26 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hello mate B) how’s tricks? you were polite & kind enough not to kick my arse when you saw my loach tank, but it had too much in it

As far as I remember we’d had a few imbibes and you were more interested in showing me your iphone!

rob
    Participant

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Jul 24 2009, 09:50 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is there a reason why your using actinic? Could you not change the bulb to a daylight one?

You’ve actually got 1.16 watts per gallon (WPG) on the tank, I’m assuming the 18 Gal is UK Gallons. WPG is measured in US Gallons so thats 25 watts /21.6 US Gal.

If you change to a daylight tube thats plenty of light for all the above plants.

I was just looking at options to have reduced light in the tank really & thought I’d try one out. the fish don’t seem to mind & I’m not aware of a reason I shouldn’t be using one (though happy to be corrected if there’s a health reason for using a daylight bulb!) so I’d like to stick with it.

Yep, 18 UK gallons. I’ve just bought some RO Right for prepping RO water for their tank, so hopefully they’re gonna appreciate the higher water quality.

rob
    Participant

oh & I’ve put a little vid of the tank up here, though I’ve since added 3 bits of bogwood..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robgudgeon/3750537762/

Matt
    Keymaster

Tank looks good and much different to when I last saw it mate. Fish look happy and healthy too.

Bluedave
    Participant

No problems with the light mate, it’s just keeping plants would be easier with a different tube, lol.

Tank looks great – do you really need any plants in that set up?

Matt, RO right is just a re-mineralising product for RO water.

rob
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 27 2009, 11:28 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Tank looks good and much different to when I last saw it mate. Fish look happy and healthy too. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> a couple seem to be growing a little faster too, but I have recently changed their food, which I think they prefer.

hoping to get some good pics soon, as the vid doesn’t really do it justice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.