LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Plastic bottle trap

Home Forums The Lounge Plastic bottle trap

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I’d like to make something suitable for catching loaches and believe it’s possible using plastic water bottles. Does anyone know how to make such a contraption? 

Ferrika
    Participant

It’s pretty easy to create this type of trap, Matt.

Take a large plastic bottle and cut about a third of the upper part cleanly. This part then you put the wrong side in the lower part.

The trap must be filled with water without bubbles and with the closed part placed slightly lower on the ground. Preferably so that the front part smooth flush with the substrate.

Food as bait in the bottle, which is taken to be preferred by catching fish. But you have to check the bottle at least every 30 minutes, otherwise the trapped animals can be damaged.

Colin
    Participant

Exactly as ^ but if I could also add…

Attach a flat stone or slate to it to make it sink and stop the current moving it about – you might also want to drill a few holes in the base so that some water can move through the bottle, but small enough so that the food doesnt just wash out. Also I find it hand to tie a string to the bottle and tie it to something on the banking so that it doesnt get washed away and is easier to find.

You’d probably want to use it at night for loaches?

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks you two, will definitely have a go this summer and yes it/they would be used at night. What kind of bait is best, just dried fish food?

Ferrika
    Participant

If the loaches prefer life food, Matt, Tubifex would be the best.

coelacanth
    Participant

Bread is the traditional one for catching minnows, used to work for stone loach as well.

aquariophil.org
    Participant

I use this kind of trap as described by Ferrika in the past. It works very well. You have to add some weight, a little stone, to prevent up swimming. Works excellent with loaches, very good for Pangio spp.

Suspend feeding for one day and place a food tablet in the trap. Yummy!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Are you trying to catch them in your tank or in the wild Matt?

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated!

@ Jim, in nature.Thinking it may be more productive to leave baited traps at night rather than trying to catch them during the day as I’ve been doing?

coelacanth
    Participant

Here’s another idea for you, get a bottle of wine with a decent depression in the base, and empty it (how you do this is up to you).

Invert the bottle in a bucket of sand or something, and create a little pool of paraffin or rubbing alcohol within the depression. Set light to this. As soon as it burns out, give it a tap within the depression with a small hammer and chisel/screwdriver, or try dropping some crushed ice in there. If you get it right you’ll have a clean, circular hole in the base, then you only need cover the other end with a bit of mesh held on with a ‘laccy band. If you get it wrong, make sure you don’t cut yourself on the bits.

Plastic pop or water bottles may be easier, it’s true, but that’s not the male way.

Plaamoo
    Participant

If you’re going to leave it overnight I’d use 2 funnels with the bait in the last compartment. What sp. ??

Matt
    Keymaster

Cobitis and Barbatula Jim.

Me like man way, me try…

coelacanth
    Participant

if you go the path of the wuss, I’ve found that the square-profile plastic bottles work well, they don’t roll and they often have convenient ridges on the top third that help lock the two halves together. When you’re placing it, you’ll need a good-sized handful of sand or gravel in there, and it also helps to fill it with water and then place it in, it’ll sink quicker instead of slowly doing a Titanic. Four holes through both sections and little twist-ties help to hold it all in one piece, these are then easy to undo to get at your catch.  

Colin
    Participant

If you want to think bigger – a few years ago i made a minnow trap out of a water cooler bottle nicked from the office!

coelacanth
    Participant

Copy-of-P1013449.JPG

The image is a template for turning any glass jar etc. into a trap for small fish. You have to size it correctly which is trial and error to be honest unless you can be bothered to make the calculations. Always better to make it over-large, you can always trim it down to suit with some sharp scissors. Print out on paper, then trace the shape onto clear, semi-rigid plastic sheet, then bring the edges together and overlap slightly to form a cone (with a hole at the middle). Glue or staple to hold it together. The tabs are used to wrap over the jar and are held on with a couple of ‘laccy bands.

If you’re catching fish which prefer a refuge, just use opaque materials. With these you can carry a few traps wherever you go, you only need to find a tub or jar once you get there to make the body of the trap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.