LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Platydoras Costatus Beer Belly

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Platydoras Costatus Beer Belly

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Waring 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Steve Waring

I’ve had this fish for three and a half years. A couple of months ago I moved the fish to a different aquarium.

Recently the fish has developed a distended belly from behind the pectoral fins backwards. At first I thought that maybe I had a female and that what I was seeing was the result of eggs. However the bulge is now so large that I don’t think this is the case.

The fish does not appear to be in any discomfort and acts in no way different to how it always has. What is causing this?

I normally feed sinking catfish food, but occasionally give bloodworms, and once in a blue moon a 1cm piece of cooked cod. It was the day after giving some cod that I noticed the belly was exceptionally distended. Since then I stopped feeding for a few days, and then have fed very sparingly. Feeding late at night the fish instantly starts hunting around for what little food I do give.

Finally, this fish might be Platydoras armatulus, what distinguishes the two fish?

Attached files

Steve Waring

Sorry, I just saw the mandatory questions pinned thread:
    pH: 7.5 I’m am gradually lowering this with a target of 6.8
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 25mg/l
    Temperature: 23.5
    GH/KH: 7 / 2.5
    TDS/Conductivity:
    Tap Water Parameters: RO water remineralised
    Test kit used: Tetra Liquid
    (Liquid or strip)

Tank Size:
    (Dimensions & Volume 100l Previous tank was 250l

Length of time set-up: 15 years but only a couple of months with current fish.
    Filtration used: Internal trickle filter, Filter for previous tank was oversized external.
    (Type & media) Foam, Carbon, Ceramic
    Maintenance Schedule:
    (Amount of water changes? How often? 10-20 % every week
    dechlorinator used? Filters cleaned? etc.) Was cleaned when fish transferred to tank. Media protected, Cycle added.
    Detailed stock list: Just this fish and one fully grown Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus age about 5 years

kizno1
    Participant

The females do get very chunky when mature so i wouldnt worry to much about it just yet. It look perfectly fine to me.

Matt
    Keymaster

The difference between P. armatulus and P. costatus is that the latter has no light midlateral stripe. Guess yours is P. armatulus Steve.

Steve Waring

Many thanks for the info.

This is my favourite photo of my fish.

Attached files

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.