LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Please Id These Plecos

Home Forums My Aquarium Please Id These Plecos

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

the gold one is 6″ long in a big tank, and has been that length for several years.
    the other one is 8″ long and also has stayed that length in a big tank. I just wanted you experts to positively ID them for me. thank you very much.

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

The fish in your top photograph is what we in the U.K. know as the Golden Albino Plec. There is much debate over the correct scientific name of this fish so you will find it listed as the golden/pond raised version of Liposarcus/Pterygoplichthys pardalis.

The fish in photographs 2 and 3 is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ May 20 2010, 09:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Reva

The fish in your top photograph is what we in the U.K. know as the Golden Albino Plec. There is much debate over the correct scientific name of this fish so you will find it listed as the golden/pond raised version of Liposarcus/Pterygoplichthys pardalis.

The fish in photographs 2 and 3 is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps.

Regards David

thank you David. I bought the little one as a “Golden Albino Plec” (same name here in the LFS’s), but he hasnt grown big enough to be a gibb, and his eyes are not pink. (the pink in the photo is reflection of the flash).
    I believe the bigger one is not a gibb either, as he has a much bigger dorsal fin and different color than the gibbs I see in the big display tanks , and he also has stopped growing at his size for several years. Why do you not think he may be a Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus? I was hoping for a confirmation that that is what he is. I have no idea what the golden one is, but will read up on your Liposarcus/Pterygoplichthys pardali and see if he matches those. thank you for replying to my post.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

I think it is true to say that Liposarcus/Pterygoplichthys pardalis is ‘the slowest growing Plecostomus known to man’.

It takes them years to obtain their full size of 60cm.

Their eyes are not always those of a true albino.

The photograph below was taken, by Sue Marshall, of a fully grown Albino Golden Plec., which we were told was 15 years old.

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

David Again

Did the dark coloured fish in your photographs look like the one below when young?

Sorry for the poor quality of the photograph but this is P. joselimaianus – L001. If we have a ‘match’ then I was wrong above.

It is just that the fin margins of P. joselimaianus are not usually as thickly set as those of the fish in your photographs.

Attached files

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ May 21 2010, 10:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Reva

David Again

Did the dark coloured fish in your photographs look like the one below when young?

Sorry for the poor quality of the photograph but this is P. joselimaianus – L001. If we have a ‘match’ then I was wrong above.

It is just that the fin margins of P. joselimaianus are not usually as thickly set as those of the fish in your photographs.

Wow @ the old golden plec!!! http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/family.php?family_id=4

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

Glad we have sorted out your Plecs.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

thanks for your help David. I always appreciate your comments and insights

Author
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.