LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Poecilia latipinna optimum salinity

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Poecilia latipinna optimum salinity

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ckraft 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ckraft
    Participant

wondering about the best salinity to keep the fish.  I ran onto a paper at:

http://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/handle/10524/19145/57_3_Vasagam.pdf?sequence=1

that would indicate 10% salinity is best.  My question – does this mean 10% of the salinity of average seawater, or is there some other meaning.  Is there any best ratio for sodium and potassium ions?  I have been keeping my fish in very hard water, 1000 tds, 55dGH.  Mostly calcium and magnesium, some sodium, I haven’t tested for potassium.

Thanks

charles

oaken
    Participant

I think you are reading the article wrong. The numbers in the article are in permille (parts per thousand) and not percent. The abstract states that optimum salinity for breeding is 25 ppt and for rearing fry 10 ppt. So 25 ppt and 10 ppt is the measurement of the salinity of the water. As an example people who have reef aquariums usually have a salinity of around 35 ppt. 

Matt
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t have thought there would be a precise optimum since the species is euryhaline (able to adapt to different salinities). Perhaps the fry move into less brackish nursery zones to grow and avoid unnecessary physiological stress hence the differences quoted in the paper for adults and juveniles?

ckraft
    Participant

@oaken said:
    I think you are reading the article wrong. The numbers in the article are in permille (parts per thousand) and not percent. The abstract states that optimum salinity for breeding is 25 ppt and for rearing fry 10 ppt. So 25 ppt and 10 ppt is the measurement of the salinity of the water. As an example people who have reef aquariums usually have a salinity of around 35 ppt. 

Yes, you are right.  I was reading it wrong.  Thanks for the response. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.