LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Poisoned sunfish

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Poisoned sunfish

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Des 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #303886

    freemanyu
    Participant

    I had 5 orangespotted sunfish(Lepomis humilis) with red shiners(Cyprinella lutrensis) in a 40g tank, I found red shiner got ich last month so I used some ich medicine from local fish store, which mainly contains malachite green and formalin, the dosage is according to instruction on the bottle. I dosed the tank for 5 days, the ich was gone but Ospots were sick. They seem dull and inactive, stayed at bottom, body blackened, not eating…

    I think they are poisoned by the medicine(seems sunfish is extremely vulnerable to medicine, the shrimps and catfish are fine) so I changed 1/2 water and kept observing. After 2 weeks, their body color is normal now, and they start to eat some bloodworms and brine shrimps that I drop around them, once they touch them. But they have difficulty locating the food, it takes several tries to get the food and they are still very inactive.

    I don’t know if the medicine damaged their nerve system? Can they recover?

    I took the pic below today, it shows the one of the sunfish, it stayed at the bottom and hardly swim

     

    IMG_0419_meitu_2.jpg

    #355384

    Des
    Participant

    I have no experience with that species , however , the best way to deal with toxicity is large water changes . The fact that they are eating, even if a bit reluctantly, is good. 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.