LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Polycanthus sota

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Polycanthus sota

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Rio78
    Participant

Hi! I have recently collected and seen this fish (Polycanthus sota) in Meghalaya, hope u will like the picture.

Attached files

Colin
    Participant

I think Polycanthus sota is a synonym of Colisa chuna but what you have there looks more like Colisa lalia (Trichogaster lalius if you go down that route?)

Matt
    Keymaster

Yep, agree with Colin, and great to see such a nice wild specimen compared with the cr*p sold in shops over here.

Colin
    Participant

yep nice to see a wild type

Matt
    Keymaster

You’re joking right?

Rio78
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Sep 9 2011, 04:24 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think Polycanthus sota is a synonym of Colisa chuna but what you have there looks more like Colisa lalia (Trichogaster lalius if you go down that route?)

Yes Polycanthys is synonym of Colisa , but the species is sota and not lalia. The three species viz colisa fasciatus, colisa sota and colisa lalia looks similar and it is difficult to identify especially between colisa fasciatus and colisa sota . I have identified it according to the standard guides. Trichogaster has got broad mouth and lips etc than compared to colisa.

Colin
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 9 2011, 02:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You’re joking right?

Colin
    Participant

well, this is certainly why I am against all of the name changes that go on in this hobby/scientific area.

Colisa, Polycanthus, Trichogaster, lalia, chuna, sota, lalius

anyone know what we call them them this week?

Matt
    Keymaster

As far as I understand it all species that were previously considered Colisa are now in Trichogaster with all former Trichogaster moved to Trichopodus.

Rio78, as Colin said, P. sota is synonymous with T. chuna rather than T. fasciata.

Are these fish plentiful in your area? It would be great to see a photo or two of the natural habitat if you have any?

Rio78
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 12 2011, 01:47 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As far as I understand it all species that were previously considered Colisa are now in Trichogaster with all former Trichogaster moved to Trichopodus.

Rio78, as Colin said, P. sota is synonymous with T. chuna rather than T. fasciata.

Are these fish plentiful in your area? It would be great to see a photo or two of the natural habitat if you have any?

yes, please see some photos I am attaching as per ur request.

Attached files

Rio78
    Participant

QUOTE (Rio78 @ Sep 12 2011, 07:03 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes, please see some photos I am attaching as per ur request.

today added few more habitat photos.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ooh thanks! Any chance of detailing which species were encountered at each locality??

Rio78
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 21 2011, 04:06 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ooh thanks! Any chance of detailing which species were encountered at each locality??

yes, we have published a paper on this plz ck
    http://ichthyology.tau.ac.il/2010/RamanujamManoramaDey.pdf

Rio78
    Participant

QUOTE (Rio78 @ Sep 21 2011, 07:33 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes, we have published a paper on this plz ck
    http://ichthyology.tau.ac.il/2010/RamanujamManoramaDey.pdf

at present, I am surveying more and trying to find if can get any new species but till not did not get any but got some Garra species, which I could I dentify only upto genus but species could not be identified.

I also visited Siju cave in Garo Hills in Meghalaya, which runs inside around 10 km to collect any cave fish but did not have any proper equipment and knowledge to go inside a cave and also there were current fish of more than a meter to 6m size as told me by the local fishermans which can kill a person, so did not take much risk to go further. I went inside little more than half a kilometer after which the water level started to rise and it was very rocky inside with knife like stones and completely dark to walk safely.

I will attach some of the cave photos, to get some idea and if anyone can suggest how to go in next time.

Rio78
    Participant

QUOTE (Rio78 @ Sep 21 2011, 07:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    at present, I am surveying more and trying to find if can get any new species but till not did not get any but got some Garra species, which I could I dentify only upto genus but species could not be identified.

I also visited Siju cave in Garo Hills in Meghalaya, which runs inside around 10 km to collect any cave fish but did not have any proper equipment and knowledge to go inside a cave and also there were current fish of more than a meter to 6m size as told me by the local fishermans which can kill a person, so did not take much risk to go further. I went inside little more than half a kilometer after which the water level started to rise and it was very rocky inside with knife like stones and completely dark to walk safely.

I will attach some of the cave photos, to get some idea and if anyone can suggest how to go in next time.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.