LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Polycentropsis abbreviata

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Polycentropsis abbreviata

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jarcave 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Picked up four juvenille African Leaf fish yesterday. Should be getting a couple more next week. They’re in quarantine at the moment and their display, species tank is getting set up this weekend. They’re already wolfing down live daphnia and bloodworm.

This is a fish I’d like to try and breed ultimately. A constant supply of live food isn’t a problem but I wonder if anyone who has kept them has managed to wean them off live food? I’m going to start adding frozen mixed in with live to see if they’ll take it. And if so, increase the percentage of frozen to live over time. Sounds easy in theory…

Also, has anyone on here bred them before? If so, please post details of how you managed it.

Matt
    Keymaster

I had them on frozen foods from day one. Just make sure it’s moving close to them in the water column and don’t chuck it all in at once as once it hits the substrate it’ll be ignored – 2-3 bloodworms at a time is ok, for example. Holding the food in tweezers and wafting it about in front of them works too. Must admit they did munch their way through a good few young endlers as well though…

One of my old ones just after being released from the bag:

Attached files

Jarcave
    Participant

Cheers, I’ll try a bit of frozen tomorrow. To be honest I had thought about the uneaten frozen food on the bottom. As I’m planning on their eventual home being planted I can see this being a problem.

I’ve thought about adding some bottom dwellers. But I also want a reasonably accurate biotope…

If anyone has any suggestions for a 2′ tank, then please fire away.

Matt
    Keymaster

Mochokiella paynei?

Jarcave
    Participant

Three of them look mottled the one in you pic Matt. The fourth looks a littl more drab.

I’ve had them take live, frozen and submersed flake so far which is pleasing.

Author
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.