LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pond Up At Last

Home Forums My Aquarium Pond Up At Last

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  geordie John 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

geordie John
    Participant

Now then Folk,
    I’m well chuffed that after just about 1yr (Twas last Aug. I started) I’ve got my pond settled LoL.( I thought I would have sussed it by last Christmas !)
    I introduced 2 koi today after putting some young in 2 weeks ago . I’ve still to modify my inlet ,I’m making a waterfall leading into a feeder pool which is full of reads and guppies ! aslo I think I’ll be needing a UV tube as I didnt bother with one and the water is a bit cloudy after 12″ , The filters took thier time as I made them myself to cut the cost ( Not !!) the pond holds about 3500 gallons and the decking doubled its expected cost ( you’ve realy got to budget for screws ect LoL) any how if i did it again Id jen up a bit which would pay off big time as ive wasted a bit of brass which could have been used on quality fish .
    All the best,
    G.John

Attached files

Richy
    Participant

Hi John, nice looking pond /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Will look even better when it starts to mature and settle down

geordie John
    Participant

Hi Richy,
    A few people have said to get a UV I didnt bother as I thought they would be extra wattage but apparently there very economical ,now I cant see my fish LoL .The pond measures 18ft by 16 ft and 3.5ft deep .There is also a 4ft sloping ledge which I thought would be nice and natural …the first heron to see this will probably think the same though LoL.
    All the best,
    G.John

Richy
    Participant

from the stats you gave i get the impression you’ve done some homework before building, wish a few others did, nice one /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” /> Top left corner of the pic, did you use a spirit level? Stick some bullrush’s in, they’ll never know lol /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> Still nice diy work anyway /dry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”<_ <" border="0" alt="dry.gif">

keith565
    Participant

great looking job there John.

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks superb John

geordie John
    Participant

Hi there,
    LoL Richy, Yep all the pond is out of level by about 1.25″ I’ve tried to adjust the visual affect with the decking but it hasnt worked ( some dont notice it but its the first thing I see )The filter inlet it up at that end which is the deepest, prob.a couple inches over 3.5ft would reeds get up to this height if planted in tall planters ?
    I’ve got guppies in both ponds but koi in only the main pond.
    All ther best.,
    G.John

Attached files

Richy
    Participant

both pics look the same, is it a game of spot the difference?? /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” /> /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Eyrie
    Participant

Very impressive

Matt
    Keymaster

John I reckon reeds would be ok in that depth of water if you start off with fairly big plants.

Reva
    Participant

Very nice job! I am impressed. I had a pond until the raccoons cleaned me out. I found that water lilies keep the algae down, as well as a potted tree of some kind for shade. Also, sinking some pvc pipes under large rocks give the fish a place to hide from predators like herons.

Are you going to put in a fountain? looks like you need something to refresh the oxygen

mickthefish
    Participant

thats one smart looking pond John, mine went when the herons had a field day with the liner,
    Great big holes about 18 inches down in the pond.
    if you hear of a guy sitting in his garden with an air rifle that’ll be me i’m standing guard for my newts and frogs cos they can’t shoot straight.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Have you tried giving them a smaller gun mate?

Daspricey
    Participant

How did i miss this thread?

Stunning pond John!

Did the guppies survive the whole winter outside?

geordie John
    Participant

I’ve got 5 jap. Koi in now and 1 from Malaya which tested the water LoL,
    I didnt see any guppies but put quite a few more in and now have loads and lots of pin heads,though they were playing scare for a time when some one came to see them last week LoL.
    The Terrapins were dredged out in mid May and seemed OK ,no rot,damage ,smells ect so I put them in a plastic box with water and land to warm up , A few days later it was one of our rare hot days so I put them on the cobbles near the edge of the pond /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> the other one was baked

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.