LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Possible Galaxy Rasbora Variants

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Possible Galaxy Rasbora Variants

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

A friend works at one of the better shops in the country and Celestichthys margaritatus “red spot” and “orange spot” have just appeared on her suppliers’ list. Have any of you guys heard anything about these? Having worked in the trade for a while and seen some of the crazy names that suppliers manufacture to make fish more saleable my sceptical side is saying that they will be selling males as “red spot” and females as “orange spot”, but I suppose you never know. We’ve already ruled out Microrasbora rubescens by the way.

Eyrie
    Participant

I wonder if it’s line breeding or natural? I know my LFS was getting some galaxy rasboras in last week, so I may pop down for anosy come the weekend.

Matt
    Keymaster

Interesting point Eyrie. I’m fairly sure these aren’t being produced commercially in massive numbers though. I forgot to mention, the “red spots” are more expensive. What’s your lfs?

Eyrie
    Participant

I use OutsideInside Aquatics down at Haddington. Guy knows his stuff and always has an interesting selection of fish in. None of the LFSs in Edinburgh are anywhere near as good, so it’s a worthwhile 40 mile round trip.

That said, I do use the [email protected] next to my office for food

keith565
    Participant

i tend to agree with you Matt. just another gimmick, or are these indeed new fish on the market. if so, then i hope for gods sake they keep the collection area a better secret than they did with the galaxy.

Matt
    Keymaster

Apparently there was an article in TFH last year that discussed the species existing in two colour forms. Any subscribers here? Yeah Keith they made a right mess of the original habitat didn’t they?

keith565
    Participant

i didn’t see that article. i knew they had 2 habitats, but that’s all.
    be interesting to see what the experts think of these ‘new’ ones.

Matt
    Keymaster

Finally pics! Well, a pic of what was ordered as the “red spot” variety by my friend. They look just like the ones I was breeding to me ie. the “standard” fish. What does everyone think?

Attached files

ndc
    Participant

looks just like the ‘normal’ ones – they are probably producing them in asia now in numbers so it may be something to do with size? (ie orange ones being smaller) or quality? or even may be crossed with something else? or a diff species for the orange that they are hoping to get people to buy cos they know they wouldnt if they had the latin name?

Matt
    Keymaster

The other thing that I was thinking is that these all look male to me. The female is less-brightly coloured and has orange in the fins. The difference is obvious in this pic. Female on the right:

I wonder if they’re just separating the sexes to get a better price on the males?

Attached files

ndc
    Participant

after seeing that pic i think youll be 100 % right

Jarcave
    Participant

I keep these to. The males are significantly brighter as you suggest. And having also worked in the trade and seen how “common names” are dreampt up (Suggestions banded about an office), I’m inclined to agree with Matt. Unless anyone has any different information? I reckon the “red spots” will be males and “orange spots” female.

Reva
    Participant

At the risk of sounding Completely Ignorant, this pretty fish looks more like a danio to me in body shape. Reminds me of a leopard danio with a different spot color, and like a zebra danio with the blue body color. With Danios sometimes the darker fish is the female.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unq4fnDzMLM

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 27 2008, 08:03 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    At the risk of sounding Completely Ignorant, this pretty fish looks more like a danio to me in body shape. Reminds me of a leopard danio with a different spot color, and like a zebra danio with the blue body color. With Danios sometimes the darker fish is the female.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unq4fnDzMLM

Galaxy rasboras have now been renamed Celestial danios.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes and at least one person has attempted to move it to the genus Danio from its current position as the sole member of Celestichthys. As far as I know the latter is still valid though. It’s definitely closely-related to Danio Reva.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.