LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

posting Fish

This topic contains 33 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Argyll 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

I’ve never posted fish before but a gent down south is interested in purchasing some of my taeniatus fry.

What’s the best way to post the poor sods, how much should I expect it to cost.. and is it worth it for 6 juvenile fishes?

Richy
    Participant

I’ve posted marine corals/inverts and trop inverts but no trop or marine fish. I guess it all depends on who you want to use for delivery, how long it will take etc . As I haven’t posted fish I cant help much more

Reva
    Participant

that little bug on your signature drives me nuts…and my siamese cat thinks it’s a cheat too

ndc
    Participant

dead easy, costs usually about 18-19 for a box to post with a courier, ive got a poly box if you need one, double bag the fish, put about 1/4 to 1/3 water in the bag and tie tightly, its quite warm now but if your just posting a few fish you could also put some bags of water in to stabilise the temps. best not to feed the fish for a couple of days before so i dont know if you can do this , depending on the size of the fry, . you see a lot of adverts on ebay etc saying they will post next day with the post office – this is def not allowed by them and will return the fish if they find out , also if you use a courier they will handle with them care as you can write on the box that it is live fish.

keith565
    Participant

i post fish fry using royal mail. they do state it is allowed to send fish fry and also many other living creatures. (i had a big bust up with them a year ago), so i have a letter from their head honcho clearly stating what you can and can not send. now, as to what constitutes a fry is another thing. anableps fry are 2-3 inches, shark fry can be huge,lol.
    i send mine in a sturdy poly box, cut to an appropriate size, i starve them for 24 hours, add ammo lok and stress coat. add enough water to cover the fish twice.double bag, one bag goes in to the other up side down and this eliminated the corners of the internal bag when you tie it, so no trapped fish.
    wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper and stuff the box as full with bubble wrap, newspaper or those box fillers you can get.
    at this time of year a heat pack is not needed.
    make sure nothing can move about in the box and well seal it up.
    send by next day by 1pm. a box with half a dozen light bags should cost no more than £8. this is paid by the buyer, not by the seller so add it on to the cost of the fish.
    mark the box fragile, but do not put live fish on it as it will be opened and returned.

i’ve done this hundreds of time and had two complaints about a DOA. there is always a risk, even with a courier. and many couriers will not knowingly send live animals.
    hope this helps.

dunc
    Keymaster

Doesn’t sound worth it at all.. I’d be wanting near enough to £30 for six juvi taeniatus then.. deary me /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ Jun 27 2008, 08:46 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Doesn’t sound worth it at all.. I’d be wanting near enough to £30 for six juvi taeniatus then.. deary me /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

it’s pretty much accepted that we need to pay postage on fish if we want them sent to us. i pay postage all the time, but i get fish etc i can’t get locally, or i get fish from known breeders who i can trust. so to me it is worth it. and it’s not as bad as it seems. also, £30 in your pocket,lol.
    oh i found the link to royal mails what you can and can’t send.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/print?c…ediaId=36200679

dunc
    Keymaster

Yer indeed.. but for a fairly common fish, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Have just spoken to your mate on the phone and he says he’d be interested in doing the suggested trade, so gonna pop up shortly and have a bit further chat.

keith565
    Participant

excellent. tell Bri i’ll be in today if possible.
    oh, ask about the channa he has spawned in the shop. you might know what they are.

dunc
    Keymaster

I’m going down after my physio, arrive 12ish if you’re about then Keith

keith565
    Participant

will try and get there, but waiting for a delivery of shrimps,lol.

dunc
    Keymaster

Ooohh.. do tell

keith565
    Participant

just some tiger shrimps, but they haven’t arrived yet and my posty usually drops them off early for me.

Matt
    Keymaster

What´re you trading for dood?

dunc
    Keymaster

Will let ya know when I get back

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.