LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

posting Fish

This topic contains 33 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Argyll 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Ooh that sounds interesting. Introduce yourself in your welcome thread mate, and get a few fish pics up

hachge
    Participant

Why not opening a new topic with killibreeders?Sharing pics and experiences .Many people breed killies and Bettas.Breeding annuals killifish is a lot of fun for me because of their shape,colors or ways of breeding.And more going on the field to catch them and try to find new species.

Hachge in Paris France

Matt
    Keymaster

Herve, you’re allowed to start new topics you know!

dunc
    Keymaster

Do it

Dave Argyll
    Participant

Hi all, just reviving an old thread here

i have been using bag buddies (by jungle laboratories) to post fish, but have just found out they are no longer being manufactured, can anyone suggest an alternative

they were supposed to provide oxygen, neutralise metabolic wastes and calm the fish (presumably a mild sedative) and they work a treat

any ideas ?

cheers dave

aquariophil.org
    Participant

You can try Soechting Oxydator FTC. These works with pressed H2O2 tablets releasing O2 for 12 hours at 20 degrees water temp. Price is 5 EUR. Soechting says that the fishs’ increased O2-demand during longer transportation is fulfilled, since the FTC always keep the level at a specific saturation level.

I have posted fish over long distance. The longest been Germany – Taiwan using no additives, package arrived on the 3rd day, 0% DOA. Fish must not be fed 24-36 h prior to packaging. 1/3 fresh and clean water, 2/3 air (better O2, if available). I was shipping killifish.  

For livebearers I recommend to add salt (common NaCl).

You also may try breathable bags. I tried those shipping wild caught fishes back home during my last excursion. Worked very well.

I think most important: 24-36 h no feeding prior to packaging. Fishes should have empty intestines.

oaken
    Participant

I recommend Kordon breathing bags as well. I’ve used them quite a lot (and have received quite a lot of fish packed in them from various countries). I think people generally overestimate how much oxygen fish actually need though. Small fish easily survive a week in normal bags if packed one by one and with clean water. One of the main advantages of breathing bags is that since there is no air in the bags it means less stress for the fish as the water doesn’t splash around.

I recently received some fish from France that actually got lost on the way (was a bit of a nightmare), after 18 days they finally showed up and they looked great. Needless to say breathing bags were used, but they were in a small styrofoam box that was pretty much airtight.

Dave Argyll
    Participant

thanks 🙂

i’ll try the kordon bags and let you know how i get on

Dave Argyll
    Participant

@aquariophil.org said:
    You can try Soechting Oxydator FTC. These works with pressed H2O2 tablets releasing O2 for 12 hours at 20 degrees water temp. Price is 5 EUR. Soechting says that the fishs’ increased O2-demand during longer transportation is fulfilled, since the FTC always keep the level at a specific saturation level.

I have posted fish over long distance. The longest been Germany – Taiwan using no additives, package arrived on the 3rd day, 0% DOA. Fish must not be fed 24-36 h prior to packaging. 1/3 fresh and clean water, 2/3 air (better O2, if available). I was shipping killifish.  

For livebearers I recommend to add salt (common NaCl).

You also may try breathable bags. I tried those shipping wild caught fishes back home during my last excursion. Worked very well.

I think most important: 24-36 h no feeding prior to packaging. Fishes should have empty intestines.

thanks, i normally starve them overnight but i guess i should leave them longer 😕

by the way, i like you website very much:cool: 

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.