LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Power Cut

Home Forums The Lounge Power Cut

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bigbadbaz 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

I have just had a power cut, was forewarned an hour before it was going off as the engineer was surveying the cable and told me where the fault was, knocked the temp up in all tanks in preperation, monitored all tanks and temp only dropped 1 degree during interuption, will be checking tanks through the night as kribs have eggs and multis look like they are breeding.

Malti
    Participant

you’re lucky u got forewarned…gluck with the kribs and multis

ndc
    Participant

just a quick note if anyone else has a problem with the electricity supply – dont worry too much about the temp as the water will be quite stable for hours in that regard and the fish will be perfectly fine with the change – the one thing you need to look at is the amount of oxygen in the tank, with no filter etc running the oxygen will deplete quite quickly (still over a few hours) – if it gets to the point of the fish gasping at the surface then do water changes as the new water will have more oxygen in it and will buy you a bit more time, you can also get oxygenating tablets – usually sold for goldfish bowls – they themselves dont oxygenate the water but create surface movement which allows the gasses to exchange, some shops also sell battery powered air pumps which would work as well.

Reva
    Participant

Thanks for the tip about oxygenating tablets…I never thought of that, and we get the power knocked out every winter by wind storms. two years ago i lost all my bosemani rainbows because of chilling. I heated rocks in pots of water on my woodstove, to drop in the tank, but it wasnt enough to heat cold water. Now I have a generator, but this is the reason i stick with “easy keepers” like Rainbows, and dont have a marine tank!

My Kribs had eggs too, until I put in the new botia’s to clean up the snail problem. The Kribs suddenly dont care any more about thier den, so I know what happened to the eggs

Matt
    Keymaster

Well Baz, did you get any sleep?

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

Yes, all fish are fine, thought one of my multi’s had gone as it was laid totally still in his shell, put some food in and made some noise and away he went.
    Getting some more hatchets on thurs and more multis on fri so I hope the problems have gone..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.