LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

'Protomyzon' pachychilus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 'Protomyzon' pachychilus

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Also on the Aquarium Glaser newsletter this week and causing a bit of a stir is this stunning hillstream loach from China. Apparently the adults don’t retain this patterning which is a shame but still looks a nice fish!

Attached files

thelizzious

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 7 2009, 02:47 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also on the Aquarium Glaser newsletter this week and causing a bit of a stir is this stunning hillstream loach from China. Apparently the adults don’t retain this patterning which is a shame but still looks a nice fish! /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah that is a proper little stunner. What size do they grow to?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Nobody seems to know an adult size at the moment Dunc, there doesn’t even seem to be a verified photo of an adult yet just what seem to be juvenile and sub-adult fish.

From what I have been told they are going for 100 euro’s a piece in Germany which is considered to be one of the cheapest prices you will find in Europe if they start to find their way into shops.

Matt
    Keymaster

I think you’ll need the money to build an extra large-sized doghouse if you decide to buy a group of these Mark!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Aint that the truth, I couldnt fit a doghouse big enough in the garden /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

there’s a pic of an adult on petfrd.
    that could be the end result.
    no sizes were given though.

mick

Thomas

They are available again in germany. But a look in my purse says me “Only watch – not buying”. Maybe I can take some pics next weekend.

Pics from less or more adults are shown here (scroll down):
    http://www.guppytaiwan.com.tw/thread-403875-1-1.html

Cheers
    Thomas

Mark Duffill
    Participant

They have made it to a couple of shops in the UK but prices are still quite high at around £40 per fish

Matt
    Keymaster

40 quid each?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Yeah and from what I have been told they are small too, certainly out of my reach for the forseeable

torso
    Participant

wouldn’t be enough, Matt.
    the species is on the red list. and expensive. remembers me the L 46 story. a no go

see here for a similar/same species
    http://www.wirbellotse.de/beitrag6441.html

Matt
    Keymaster

So the ones in the trade are captive-bred then?

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Oct 4 2011, 07:36 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So the ones in the trade are captive-bred then?

never, Matt. declared as wild caught and there is not even a rumor of having been bred.

Matt
    Keymaster

Marvellous, and they seem to be catching and exporting mainly juveniles too.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.