LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Protozin Removing Fins?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Protozin Removing Fins?

This topic contains 49 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sofia 10 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Sofia

Hi everybody.

I got 4 new Guppies a week ago and added them to the tank. On 1st of July I added Protozin to treat for Ich. I had seen that some of the Platies had started flicking against plant leaves.

Everything was fine until during today the fins of the Guppies (all of them) started disappearing again. The only thing that changed was the treatment for whitespot. I am very tempted to not complete the course and just do a large water change.

Does anyone know whether Protozin could be the cause? A friend of mine had observed the same when she treated her fancy goldfish. I know I asked this before and was told (by Matt I think) that this was not possible. However, it is happening again and I am very concerned. Maybe there is other medication I can use.

I use the correct dosage of Protozin and treatment is done as it says on the tin.

Please help me, because I don’t know what to do. I can’t go through losing fish again

Malti
    Participant

and what did your friend do? did she continue the course?

I’d stop it and try to find an alternative

Richy
    Participant

have the guppies came from the same shop as the previous batch to which you had problems?
    It may be a problem with the shop guppies if from same place.
    There is other Q’s but i’ll wait till you answer this first

Sofia

She stopped treatment, but the fish died.

Richy, they did all come from the same shop. As well as all my other fish, but the guppies are the only ones with the fin problem. The surviving one of the first batch was just regrowing his fin.

EDIT: I lost about 50% of fish the last time this happened

Richy
    Participant

so it may be a guppy stock problem, possibility anyway. Don’t get anymore whether it’s a good shop or not /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Any shop can get a dodgy batch of fish now and then so if you like the shop let them know about your problems in a nice way /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Sofia

QUOTE (Richy @ Jul 5 2008, 09:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    so it may be a guppy stock problem, possibility anyway. Don’t get anymore whether it’s a good shop or not /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Any shop can get a dodgy batch of fish now and then so if you like the shop let them know about your problems in a nice way /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=427 This is where I discussed the initial problem. There should be pictures in that thread.

The guppies from the first problem batch were bought in the beginning of April. these ones were bought last week. They are from a different tank as well.

I shall try to get a picture of them, but they are so incredibly fast!

Richy
    Participant

Forgot to say earlier, NO protozin shouldn’t really cause or make the problem worse.
    Remedy in theory, melafix and pimafix together should definatley sort the problem out but you’re already treating for now. Protazin should work if it does what it say’s on the label.
    Prefer natural remidies like pimafix and melafix myself

Sofia

OK, I shall be treating day 4 of the course then.

Thanks for the responses and advice

Matt
    Keymaster

Thing is though Sofia, that shop is doubtless using the same wholesaler each time they order, and that wholesaler will be using the same fish farm to order their stock from. What I’m saying is, I agree with Richy and think you should try a different shop. It sounds like a problem stemming from whoever is breeding the guppies rather than your lfs. Sorry it’s happened again hun.

Sofia

OK, first of all day 4 of treatment is tomorrow.

I don’t have much choice of fish stores round here sadly. Only that dreadful pets at Home apart from Aquacadabra /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Richy
    Participant

I’m drinking and you mentioned the P&H letters, sorry but I’ll have to shut up for now

Bluedave
    Participant

Sidcup aquatics – brian knows what he is talking about!
    Dartford Aquatics – Mark (Brian’s son) knows what he is talking about, lol
    Maidenhead @ Hawley Garden centre Dartford

Few others further a field that are good as well

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Sofia @ Jul 5 2008, 11:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    OK, first of all day 4 of treatment is tomorrow.

I don’t have much choice of fish stores round here sadly. Only that dreadful pets at Home apart from Aquacadabra /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

do u have a small tank to quarantine them?
    and good luck with your interviews

Sofia

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Jul 5 2008, 10:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sidcup aquatics – brian knows what he is talking about!
    Dartford Aquatics – Mark (Brian’s son) knows what he is talking about, lol
    Maidenhead @ Hawley Garden centre Dartford

Wow, brilliant. Thanks a lot, erm, Bluedave /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Sofia

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 5 2008, 10:42 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    do u have a small tank to quarantine them?
    and good luck with your interviews /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Thanks for the luck with the interviews. I am mostly at final stages now

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.