LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pseudogastromyzon fangi

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Pseudogastromyzon fangi

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

olly
    Participant

Hello to all

In this video I tried to gather almost all elements of the p.fangi spawning, seen in my tank.

The spawning behavior of P.fangi is complicated, very beautiful, full of amazing moments. I hope you’ll enjoy to observe this fish celebration.

The video consists of episodes from different spawnings.

In the video there are my own interpretations of P.fangi spawning behavior (just the guesses) based on my observations of the small group of these fishes. However, my guesses may be incorrect. You can improve the understanding of P.fangi spawning behavior if you will present here your observations, knowledge, interpretations, guesses, corrections, etc.

http://youtu.be/pytxxnCcQk4

Plaamoo
    Participant

Beautiful!! Great job Olly! Thank you for sharing your work!

mikev
    Participant

Indeed, very nice clip — thank you!

Matt
    Keymaster

This is really cool Olly, thanks for sharing. What is the general consensus regarding the addition of videos such as this to species profiles?

mikev
    Participant

Absolutely.

Byron Hosking
    Participant

Yes, agree.

Plaamoo
    Participant

@mikev said:
    Absolutely.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok, this is now on the list for future updates. Thanks chaps.

olly
    Participant

Thanks all!

A little bit more about the P.fangi spawning. For a long time I believed that spawning is only in pairs. However, later P.fangi began to spawn by threes: male and two receptive gravid females. Here is a clip where the moment was caught when
    the second female enters into spawning and joins to spawners. I got the impression that the male is ready to spawn with
    any number of females, if they raise the dorsal fin.
    Interestingly, females may begin to dance with each other by mistake, in response to raised dorsal fin. That is in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V5-3Tha3iI
    Ridiculous situation may occur. Females reveale the mistake, and they begin to fight. The battle lasts as long as the bored male, who lost females, goes and seeks them. He finds them and leads to dance.

Just a guess about behavioral signalization. When some fishes are fighting, they wave their tails with a large amplitude. They can beat each other with body and tails. But more often they produce the water waves of a large value to the lateral line to intimidate the opponent. During spawning for stimulation of the partner, the body movements of fish are more frequent and with small amplitude. Touching a partner during spawning are important. But characteristics of the water wave (amplitude or/and frequency),
    that the lateral line of the partner receives, probably are important too. I think the pattern of the waves, arriving at the lateral
    line, may start the behavioral response – aggression or spawning behavior in receptive specimen. This guess may work not for all fishes.
    What do you think about this?
    Clip with battle of P.fangi. (Stimulation of the partner in the clip of start post.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTDHcEbpGeM

Plaamoo
    Participant

They are such beautiful fish! I’m really sorry mine didn’t make it. Wish you were closer Olly!

mikev
    Participant

Great stuff, olly, thank you!

Much more attractive than mine … and I still have no fry … probably will move them to a different tank to shake them up.

mikev
    Participant

The photos below are courtesy of Rachel O’Leary who is an importer, breeder, and a great person overall as well in the US:

http://rainbow-fish.org/fishpic/rol_fangi_1.jpg
    http://rainbow-fish.org/fishpic/rol_fangi_2.jpg

Fangi? Any comments on the dorsal colors you guys want to make? (My “fangi” seem all have colorless dorsals… wonder if this means they are all one sex? )

If Matt wants the photos, Rachel gave her permission.

She also mentioned having variants among fangi (she has a lot), hopefully there will be more photos.

Matt
    Keymaster

Personally I’m unsure what exactly represents P. fangi – I stopped doing Pseudogastromyzon profiles when it became too confusing. :p Will revisit soon and will definitely use these pics – please thank Rachel Mike.

@olly , great videos again definitely agree that the caudal fin movements are involved somehow. Could be the water flow as you say or perhaps some kind of chemical stimuli is also involved and the tail is used to direct this towards the intended recipient?

olly
    Participant

Thanks!

@matt said:
    Could be the water flow as you say or perhaps some kind of chemical stimuli is also involved and the tail is used to direct this towards the intended recipient?

Interestingly. Of course, you are right, different stimuli are involved jointly.
    One more guess. I think that during spawning the skin sensitivity of the P.fangi female is changed. Mechanical stimuli from male (pushing), which other females perceive as an agression and run away, the spawning female in another hormonal status perceive otherwise in positive way. These stimuli together with others direct her spawning behavior.

mikev
    Participant

new and slightly air-starved

P1080747.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.