LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pseudogastromyzon spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Pseudogastromyzon spp.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mikev 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone got references for these species? I can’t find a thing!

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 31 2011, 05:39 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Has anyone got references for these species? I can’t find a thing!

none. only the papers I sent you.
    would some pics help? best to adress to mr. Tree
    cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Got some pics from him already.

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 31 2011, 11:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How are these behaviour-wise compared to say, Gastromyzon and Sewellia?

different. no other species are so often on the glass. they try to chase away others in a kind of “direct attack”. gastromyzon don t appreciate it, only large g stellatus can make the situation turn to their favour. so sewellia do – they are the most dominant ones after all. of courso they wan t do any harm at all, but the constant attakcs can irritate smaller specimen.
    cheers Charles

odyssey
    Participant

I’m sorry only with pictures of the reuse.
    Pseudogastromyzon is’nt in my tank at present, so there are no those new pictures.

Please refer to the following past threads for the detailed commentary.
    Here
    And here

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I know the two P. fasciatus that I had were total shits, they would even chase and harrass the sewellia which they didnt appreciate one bit.

I think cheni tend to form a pecking order of both males and females, the alpha male and alpha female tend to run the show a bit like botia, unlike other hillies that I have had.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Odyssey thanks for posting the pics! Charles has also sent me some great stuff and this one appears to be P. myersi. Mind if I ask how you got the id Charles?

Attached files

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 8 2011, 09:06 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mind if I ask how you got the id Charles?

as the whole group looked coherent I made some pics from the underside. on one I worked out the difference according to the clue on loaches (it is amongst the pics I have sent you). much easier to see is the difference of the pattern: cheni shows as very clear pattern – bright and dark – and with larger extensions of the single patterns.
    I went back the to my archived pics and found it coherent as result – specimen always in the right file back the last years.
    the specimen which cam last week as p lineatus seem all to be myersi – no stripes at all. pics to follow.
    cheers Charles

The.Dark.One

They’ve got some P. fasciatus in at Ferrybridge Aquatics at the moment, £5.95 each.

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (The.Dark.One @ Feb 13 2011, 08:25 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They’ve got some P. fasciatus in at Ferrybridge Aquatics at the moment, £5.95 each.

that’s interesting: just the fact that they are labelled as fasciatus. round here they don’t even try to verify, so all is p cheni …
    do they look like this? or: is this a different species?

Attached files

The.Dark.One

Hi

They aren’t labelled as anything in terms of scientific name, it’s just what they looked like to me. I got some crap images, can’t make them out very well:

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Body patterning is different on those latter fish right?

Loose translation of Sauvage’s description of Psilorhynchus fasciatus, not that it helps much. No figures, unfortunately:

D. 9; A. 7; V. 9; L. lat. 80.

‘Head very depressed. Prismatic body, its height fitting almost six times into the length without the caudal. Head length contained four times in the same dimension. Mouth slightly split, lower lip slightly less jagged. Eyes small, placed very back. Dorsal slightly truncate, opposite to the ventrals, and located in the anterior portion of the space between the tip of the snout and the origin of the caudal; pectorals large reaching the ventrals, which arrive at the anus; anal low, situated far back; caudal sub-truncate, measuring the length of the head. Brownish body with transverse bands wide and dark; pectoral, dorsal and caudal fins varied dark shades.
    Western Fukien, at an altitude of 1200 meters: A. David.’

The.Dark.One

I think it is just because the fish in my photos were not yet settled and the conditions to take photos were poor.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ah.

torso
    Participant

the description would fit or am I wrong?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.