LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pseudomugil cf. paskai/iriani

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Pseudomugil cf. paskai/iriani

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ferrika 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Hi,

I brought these in as a special request for a customer. There are Pseudomugil iriani and I was unable to find out too much about them, or even pics, online.

It seems that they and sp.”red neon” might be the same fish?

anyway, some pics…

There are ten of them in total and although they came in with water pH 4.5 I have them in 6.5 now

Quite a pretty fish!

BigTom
    Participant

Pseudomugil “iriani”, = Pseudomugil “red neon”, = Pseudomugil sp. cf. paskai

But only according to some Asian blog, no idea how accurate that is.

Also some discussion here, assuming the above is correct –

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl…456%26tbm%3Ddsc

http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/viewtopi…f=80&t=2870

A little bit of breeding info in that first link for ‘paskai’

Matt
    Keymaster

P.iriani‘ is a fictitious name I think Colin and it does appear to be the same fish also being traded as P. cf. paskai? Undescribed and possibly from SW Papua New Guinea is all I know.

Attached files

Colin
    Participant

Thanks guys

Tom – thanks for that, I hadnt seen that site.

also on the lists just now are P. pellucidus and P. ivantsoffy all quite pretty looking fish, although more expensive than the “typical” rainbows

oaken
    Participant

Nice pics. I recently bought a pair of these P. cf. paskai. Very pretty fish. I also bought some P. pellucidus about a month ago but they all died within a few days despite looking healthy when I got them. Don’t know what went wrong there! Maybe they’re very sensitive to changes in their environment?

Colin
    Participant

well, as I said in the first post the pH of the bag they imported in was at pH 4.5, which is unusual as the majority of bags from this exporter are bang on 5.5. So I had to quickly adjust the pH down a bit further to match… and then slowly bring them up a bit as it is more practical. Could have been stress that caused the deaths of yours from pH change?

I’ll probably get the next species in a week or two and post pics

Cheers

pablito
    Participant

offered a whole raft of pseudos last week but most not available when ordered.
    Almost all of the fish are to be found in Adrian Tappin’s fantastic book.

Colin
    Participant

is this the e book?

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s the one Colin.

unissuh

Wow, that *is* a nice Pseudomugil. Another one I now wish we had in Australia. Quite a popular genus here to keep, but limited #s of PNG species are in the country.

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 23 2012, 04:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    well, as I said in the first post the pH of the bag they imported in was at pH 4.5, which is unusual as the majority of bags from this exporter are bang on 5.5. So I had to quickly adjust the pH down a bit further to match… and then slowly bring them up a bit as it is more practical. Could have been stress that caused the deaths of yours from pH change?

I’ll probably get the next species in a week or two and post pics

Cheers

Not sure. I had a fairly low pH in the tank they were in. Also I don’t get my fish directly from the exporter like you get yours. Anyway, the P. pellucidus are really cool. They might not be very colourful but they have an appearence that is pretty distinct from other Pseudomugil and the red/yellow colouring (some males had red and some males had yellow stripes) in the anal fin is pretty striking.

Colin
    Participant

The three Psudomugils on the list this week are…

Pseudomugil ivantsoffy
    Pseudomugil pellucidus
    Pseudomugil iriani

mikev
    Participant

I have “iriani” and pellucidus.

Iriani is an invalid name, of course, and it is not clear at this time just what it is. It is certainly a part of “gertrudae/paskai complex” (if there is such a thing), but there are some differences as well… a chance of new species. With this species we have a chance of an early DNA test to perhaps answer some questions.
    They are easy to breed, albeit less prolific than gertrudae. It seems that the egg size is a bit larger, and the fry develops faster than gerts. My largest fry is >1cm now (2 wks).

I’d suggest calling them P.sp.neon or P.sp.red … it is the lesser evil among the proposed names (ariani pretends to be a real name, which it is not, and cf.paskai makes one wonder why “cf.paskai” and not “cf.gertrudae”)

Pellucidus: the importer who got them for me also lost them on the first try… not clear just what went wrong but they arrived very weak (neons were fine)…worked on the 2nd try /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> sighting yesterday:

I have a bad feeling about the easiness of breeding…. large eggs, implying there will not be too many….

Ivansoffi (not ivansoffy as written on the export list): What is being exported now seems very similar to the “Deky” strain… so I passed on these (I keep Deky already). There are two strains of Ivansoffi around, btw, “Deky” and “Kopi”, and it is not certain if these should not be two separate species.

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 28 2012, 07:11 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The three Psudomugils on the list this week are…

Pseudomugil ivantsoffy
    Pseudomugil pellucidus
    Pseudomugil iriani

And there is also an unusual wild caught melanotaenia on the list.

mikev
    Participant

In re: Pseudomugil pellucidus.

I have a couple of babies as of this morning /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.