LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pseudomugil mellis. distended bowel?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Pseudomugil mellis. distended bowel?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

These are about 2 months old, 3/8″. Fed on Sera micron, golden pearls, and a mix I make in the mortar of decap brine shrimp eggs, quaity veggie flake, and spirulina powder to start. Live bbs & sera micron since they were able to take them. I thought it was just po but after closer look it appears to be their gut. Anybody seen this before?
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/DSC_2162_zpsdf43a014.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/crop_zps89c48787.jpg

mikev
    Participant

Hemorrhoids. :P

plesner
    Participant

I can’t help you with any kind of diagnosis, but there is a rather extensive chapter on diseases in Adrian Tappin’s ‘Rainbowfishes ~ Their Care & Keeping in Captivity‘ which you can download (perfectly legal) for free here:

http://peter.unmack.net/tappin/Rainbowfishes.2011.pdf

If it is anything even close to a common problem, you’re likely to find it there.

olly
    Participant

I think gut came out through the anus due to overeating and weakness of the muscles of the sphincter, perhaps, and general muscle weakness. I had such a problem with the guppy fry who overeat so that the gut came out, and scoliosis of the spine appeared. I began to give food, soaked in fishtamine. Intestine returned back into the body eventually, muscles became stronger, the severity of scoliosis has become less. Vitamins are needed. Feeding little and often.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks plesner. I have Adrian’s book. I also posted on a forum that he frequents but no answer yet. hanks Olly. That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I have fry of another pseudomugil sp. the same age, same feeding and they’re fine.  I’m going to cut way back on the food for awhile and see what happens. They seem very healthy otherwise.

Plaamoo
    Participant

This doesn’t seem to be changing. I’m thinking that I may have been careless separating the shells from the bbs and they ate some and couldn’t digest them properly. I’m pretty careful and have never had this problem before, but it’s the only thing I can think of.

mikev
    Participant

I do not believe this. I stopped being extra careful with shells a few years ago and never had problems of this or any other type.

(Actually, looking into the shell issue: most people either believe in “shell damage” or don’t… I generally don’t… but I’ve also heard that for certain types of fish this is an issue, specifically for sunfish. So I was extra-careful with them, just in case.)

Anyway, want more eggs? Or wait till it is warm?

nuchal man
    Participant

I would guess shells as I had a similar issue with a batch of Malawi cichlid fry a few years back and that was the only conclusion I could come to. I was in a hurry that day and  was feeding live bbs at the time and I guess didn’t let the shells separate from the hatched shrimp long enough. Unfortunately, my fry didn’t recover and I culled them. 

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. We’ll wait for warmer weather Mike, thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.