LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Puntius ID help please

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Puntius ID help please

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Some pics to add to the database. Confirmations or denials on these much appreciated!

Young P. orphoides?

P. trifasciatus?

P. binotatus?

Female P. tiantian?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Now this one came labelled as P. sp. cf. terio

…but I think it might be the same as this, labelled P. sp. ‘Yunnan’?

…and finally this which I’ve no idea about:

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt I’d agree on the first pic being a young Orphodes !

The second and third fishes {striped barbs ] there is a paper that depicts the different members of that group ,might be worth checking ,its quite detailed !

I’d say the one labelled as Terio is correct ,the males get a reddish lateral band when well conditioned , note the one side spot !

The fish you thought could be the same isn’t ,its one of the Ticto’s /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

andy rushworth
    Participant

I’ve seen and kept the fish labelled Binotatus ,one of my books on Thai fishes shows a very similar looking fish under the name P.rhombeus they look very close to your pic ,so I guess thai fish is a bit enigmatic ?

The Tiantian looks like a Tiantian ?

Wouldn’t it be great if the scientists had lab technicians who could condition the fishes and take photo’s of both live and dead , male and female specimens

Colin
    Participant

Andy, there are stories regarding scientists who failed to recognise living examples of animals they classified themselves as dead specimens in the lab! I think that there is an example of that in CRUSTACEA GUIDE OF THE WORLD by Helmut Debelius.

I think it would help in a lot of cases but apparently expensive to add pics to papers?

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Jan 24 2011, 08:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The second and third fishes {striped barbs ] there is a paper that depicts the different members of that group ,might be worth checking ,its quite detailed !

I have the paper hence my guess at P. trifasciatus as it’s the only one with 3-4 body stripes in adults.

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Jan 24 2011, 08:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’d say the one labelled as Terio is correct ,the males get a reddish lateral band when well conditioned , note the one side spot

The fish you thought could be the same isn’t ,its one of the Ticto’s /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last fish looks like a P.vattatus , a very nicely coloured one

andy rushworth
    Participant

No surprises really Col /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.