LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Puntius identities

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Puntius identities

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve been busy updating species profiles to fall in line with the new website and have made a couple of interesting ‘discoveries’ regarding common species in the trade. 

The first is that the ‘clown barb’ in the aquarium hobby does not appear to be P. everetti from Borneo, but P. dunckeri from the Malay Peninsula. This has been mentioned before (by Heok Hee I think?) but I’d never managed to get around to editing the profiles.

Based on the descriptions and field images P. everetti is an overall less colourful fish possessing relatively small dark body markings, a distinctive dark blotch at the posterior base of the dorsal-fin, and 3½ scales above the lateral line. In P. dunckeri the dark body markings are significantly larger, there is no blotch at the posterior of the dorsal-fin base, and there are 4½ scales above the lateral line.

Here are pics, first P. everetti by Michael Lo, then P. dunckeri by CK Yeo.

Puntius-everetti-adult-70-mm-ML.jpgPuntius-everetti.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Is this one P. sophore perhaps?

Puntius-sp..jpg

andy rushworth
    Participant

Or possibly Chola ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Does chola have that orange patch on the opercle Andy?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Yeah there are quite a few of the Asian Barbs have the orange/red cheeks !

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok so P. sophore, P. chola, S. orphoides…any more? And do all P. chola have the marking?

retro_gk
    Participant

Do I see a serrated dorsal spine?

@matt said:
    Is this one P. sophore perhaps?

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, yeah I think you do.:D

retro_gk
    Participant

That rules out sophore and chola. Something from the Pethia ticto group.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are there any species from that group with an orange opercular marking Rahul? If it had a caudal peduncle blotch it would look pretty similar to P. thelys

retro_gk
    Participant

This one seems to have more pored scales than P. thelys. Can’t think of any species with red opercular marks off hand, but courting males of many species do show some red there, as part of an overall “lateral reddening”.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Parrah ?

Can’t see it being Thelys ?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , the Knowledge Base pics 1 + 4 of P.ticto are P.punctatus , and the fish you show as P.punctatus  is P.muvattupuzhaenis tentativly at least !

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Andy, ok can make those changes. Where is the info from if you don’t mind me asking?

I don’t think the fish in the photo is P. thelys either, was just commenting on its vague similarity. :)

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , Marc’s paper ,though I can’t access it ?

The Punctatus i.d is pretty sound , the Muvattupuzhaenis is tentative according to Marc !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.